Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: People Who Only Like Roots Music

While we're on the subject, I would like to mention another rootsy-sounding group that is a one-hit wonder, yet has a large following, that I cannot stand. It is: The Grateful Dead. Or is is Greatful? Anyway, they are not even noted for outstanding music or even passably listenable music. They had that one song on the radio that I don't even recall, (except that it was bad), and are noted mainly for their nerdy neohippy party crowd fan base and the decadence that follows(--er--followed, as they are now defunct) them around to their concerts. Hope that helps you some.
    Last edited by Packy; 10-30-14 at 10:04pm.

I'm embarrassed to say I never could remember what the Grateful Dead (my sibling's favorites) were famous for, so I listened to them on YouTube--I thought they sounded vaguely old-timey. It wasn't something I'd go out of my way to hear, but it wasn't bad, and they had (have?) an enthusiastic following. Which doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    While we're on the subject, I would like to mention another rootsy-sounding group that is a one-hit wonder, yet has a large following, that I cannot stand. It is: The Grateful Dead. Or is is Greatful? Anyway, they are not even noted for outstanding music or even passably listenable music. They had that one song on the radio that I don't even recall, (except that it was bad), and are noted mainly for their nerdy neohippy party crowd fan base and the decadence that follows them around to their concerts. Hope that helps you some.
    I remember hearing once that Jerry Garcia didn't even understand the throngs who came to hear what he thought was their tinny, diddly music.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Well, the whole phenomenon about Grateful Dead concerts(they disbanded in 1995, but have had several reunions) is that it's about being a modern-day party-hearty dirty-hippie-for-a-day thing. Like, wow--Woodstock, all over again! See? It's not about music, it's about the deadhead festival atmosphere. Going to a 'Dead concert just to hear good music is almost like going to a ball game just to hear Roseann sing the national anthem. Ha. Heads prolly buy their records just to know their stuff in advance, or as a nostalgia trip at home. Sorry to use so many hyphens. Can't help it.
    Last edited by Packy; 10-30-14 at 5:50pm.

Does anyone even know many Grateful Dead songs beyond I don't know "touch of gray". I've heard Jerry Garcia do other songs through streaming stuff, very blue grassy and quite good like "Shady Grove", but apparently that wasn't an original.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Does anyone even know many Grateful Dead songs beyond I don't know "touch of gray". I've heard Jerry Garcia do other songs through streaming stuff, very blue grassy and quite good like "Shady Grove", but apparently that wasn't an original.
    "Touch Of Gray", that's about it. The Grateful Dead recorded MORE THAN 140 different albums--but most of them were live recordings of their concerts. They are not of sufficient quality, musically, that they could be played on the radio, unless it was some very low-powered campus radio station, with funky programming, or something like that. Yes, they are rootsy; I think most of the local bar bands in this area kind of emulate their style. Unless, they are pure country rock.
    Last edited by Packy; 10-30-14 at 9:52pm.

"Touch of Gray" was their only top-40 hit, but they have a vast list of songs. They played so many styles of music: bluegrass, blues, rock, psychedelic, etc.
    Some of my favorite tunes are: The Wheel, Eyes of the World, Here Comes Sunshine, St Stephen, Chinacat Sunflower, Franklin's Tower, Fire on the Mountain, Scarlet Begonias, Terrapin Station . . . You won't hear these on any major radio stations.

Yes, Rosa. I know the feeling--10000's of songs, no hits on the radio. That's me. It's like: Big Hat, No Cattle. All dressed up, with no place to go. Maybe if I build an Amphitheater, they will come. Just joking. There was a 1960's group that was formed at a small college out East that specialized in training engineers, & undergrads going to Professional school. They kept busy when they weren't studying by performing in local bars and frat parties. Someone who had a friend in the music business heard them, and lined them up with a NY music producer, and in no time they were recruited as an opening act for The Beatles on their 3rd and final USA Tour. That tour was plagued by controversy, especially in the Bible Belt, because of some brash remark by John Lennon about being more famous than Jesus. Anyway, the little college band I was describing, named "The Cyrkle" had just two songs, out of many that they recorded, that were played over and over on AM radio, back in 1966. But, after that--they toured, played nightclubs, but really couldn't sell sufficient numbers of records or sustain their success by touring and recording as a band. They attributed their failure to not fitting the mold of the decadent, 60's counterculturists that were getting much media exposure. Wrong Image, wrong music style. They were clean-cut college boys. So, they disbanded. One of them opened an advertising agency, composing TV and radio ad jingles that you've no doubt heard, and another became a record producer for other groups-- bands that better fit the hippie image. One was called "Foghat". More party music for farmboys-turned-hippies, with a rootsy sound. See? The "Cyrkle" piano player went back to school, and trained as a surgeon. But, at least none of them was a casualty of the drug culture that seemed to go hand-in-hand with rock music. Hope that helps you some.

I got a notification that in Dec., on the anniversary of John Lennon's death, that there will be another "Imagine Concert" at the beautifully-restored vintage theater downtown. This is an event that has gone on almost every every year for I don't know how long. It features performances of select Beatle/Lennon music covered by local um, Artiste's. But, last time I went, in 2009, they managed to Rootsy-fy every bit of it. As if it were Lennon himself appearing at the Grand Ol' Opry. S'why I usually don't go. Look on you tube for: Cindy Woolf & Mark Bilyeu., for a sample. Those two really are good, talented singers & musicians; it's just that the hillbilly music genre is downright annoying to littlebittymee.

Well, guess what? One of my known associates informed me that there will be a program on PBS that is about the old Muscle Shoals Recording Studio in Alabama. It is presently on the National Register Of Historic Sites and Tourist Traps. Ha. See, a good many "Classic Rock" records were recorded there, plus a variety of other commercially successful recordings were made there, mostly in the 1970's. Like, "I'll Take You There", by the Staples Singers. A funk classic from oh, 1972. I have it on a 45 rpm. I will try to catch that program, if I can get my TV set working. If I can't--will some of you kids watch it, and let me know about it, on here? Thank you, and as always, Thankk Mee.

Thread Information