Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Snootiest Restaurant You've Ever Been To?

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    Money for nothing. And guess what?
    The chicks are free?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I'm sure you dial 9-11 several times a year. Ha. But what about attire at 11-11 ? Don't you have to wear a jacket and tie or else a dress? Just curious.
    No. The only place I know where you have to wear a jacket is Tony's. Tony's is an olde school 4 star restorante and I'm not very interested in that. Maybe someday I will go there. The service is obsequious, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    The chicks are free?

The chicks are free?
    Over on another thread, I was enlightening everyone about how dull and boring the preferred music of redneck hippie geezers, the so-called "classic rock" genre is. It boils down to an official playlist of about 50-60 recordings. Two are by Dire Straits, aka, Mark Knopfler, his songs from antiquity(Sultans of Swing/Money For Nothing) that are played every day, several times, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, decade after decade. They were catchy, back in the day, but have long since gotten old, old,old and stale. Have you ever listened to a Dire Straits Album? Seen Knopfler on PBS, awhile back? Not very impressive. You will then know what a Two-Hit wonder is. The local classic rock station plays-two-in-a-row by every music-by-dead-guys group on their playlist, each Tuesday. Coming Up Next: some Golden Earring; Radar Love/ Twilight Zone, on Two-fer Tuesday! Stay Tuned. Hope that helps you some. Thank Mee.

Over on another thread, I was enlightening everyone about how dull and boring the preferred music of redneck hippie geezers, the so-called "classic rock" genre is. It boils down to an official playlist of about 50-60 recordings. Two are by Dire Straits, aka, Mark Knopfler, his songs from antiquity(Sultans of Swing/Money For Nothing) that are played every day, several times, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, decade after decade. They were catchy, back in the day, but have long since gotten old, old,old and stale. Have you ever listened to a Dire Straits Album? Seen Knopfler on PBS, awhile back? Not very impressive. You will then know what a Two-Hit wonder is. The local classic rock station plays-two-in-a-row by every music-by-dead-guys group on their playlist, each Tuesday. Coming Up Next: some Golden Earring; Radar Love/ Twilight Zone, on Two-fer Tuesday! Stay Tuned. Hope that helps you some. Thank Mee.
    Have you seen Mark Knopfler play with Chet Atkins? Talent like his can't be relegated to a "Two-Hit Wonder" category.

I rarely listen to music anymore although when I do occasionally run across Radar Love on the radio I'm immediately taken back to a time in the early 70's when I'd be driving all night my hands wet on the wheel, travelling from my Air Force Duty Station to my hometown to see my girlfriend. Most everyone has a song or two that takes them to another time and place. That one does it for me.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Have you seen Mark Knopfler play with Chet Atkins? Talent like his can't be relegated to a "Two-Hit Wonder" category.

I rarely listen to music anymore although when I do occasionally run across Radar Love on the radio I'm immediately taken back to a time in the early 70's when I'd be driving all night my hands wet on the wheel, travelling from my Air Force Duty Station to my hometown to see my girlfriend. Most everyone has a song or two that takes them to another time and place. That one does it for me.
    File Under: Duets By Has-Been Technical Guitarists. You'd just Love it if the NFL granted tenure to all of its' players, so that they would be active footballers well into their Sixties and beyond. This would make a great topic for another thread--Arcane Music. See, Knopfler is VERY prolific (like Ted Nugent); he's recorded more than twenty albums plus collaborations, and sold over 20 million copies; received 4 Grammys; Packs arenas with devoted fans; is on Rolling Stone Magazines' 100 Best Guitarists list; and been awarded honorary degrees in music, okay? Yet, he is still a two-hit wonder! Why? Like most of these guitar guys, his music is too technique-centric. More about fancy riffs and fast, loud playing than content such as---melody. Melody? What's that? He's just another one of these arena-rock, crowd mania noisemakers like Bonamassa. See what I mean? Hope that helps you some. Thanks.
    Last edited by Packy; 10-29-14 at 12:48pm.

Years ago we went to Indigine in Portland because they were one of the few restaurants that served Indian food back then. They only served it one night a week, it was a small place, and reservations were required. We started off on a sour note when we declined to order wine...We were not wine drinkers, and still aren't. Apparently that was where they made their money--it was a prix fixe joint--so from then on we were red-haired stepchildren. The food was probably good--I don't remember--but it was a multi-course meal, and interminable. I guess the idea was to string out the process to replicate leisurely continental dining. And, not parenthetically, to sell more wine. This was lost on us, of course--we could talk in the car, sober. It had been a long day, and I was tired, and so I asked for a cup of coffee. You would have thought I had asked where the chips and salsa were. Our server looked appalled. She informed us that she was sorry, but they only had so many burners, and they were occupied with food. She couldn't possibly rustle up some coffee. Maybe nobody had ever asked before. The courses kept coming, and i managed not to do a face plant into the kheer and exit with silver leaf on my nose. Barely. I was overjoyed to get out of that place--full of starchy food and already half asleep.

I guess I'm just a rube--vast plates with microscopic food dribbled with Jackson Pollack-esque sauces don't impress me in the least.

Funny story, Jane!

Kind of related, one of my favorite movie lines is from LA Story--Steve Martin goes to a nouvelle cuisine restaurant, his order comes out, he stares at the spoonful of entree garnished with a leaf and encircled by a swoosh of something, and he says to his companion, "That's funny--I'm finished but I don't remember having eaten."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Having lived in arguably the highest end resort town anywhere for a couple decades we got to see it all. DW was, for many years, a concierge for the resort company itself. One of her jobs was to take all the other concierges with local hotels to each of the participating restaurants in town every year. Their spouses usually weren't invited, her's was. Generally speaking the restauranteurs and chefs were acutely aware of who could send several hundred diners willing to drop hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars per meal to them during the season. Almost without exception the snooty restaurants and their usually even snootier owners only made it one season. I could name off some, but none of them exist anymore. The places that managed to achieve impeccable service and still have a warm, laid back kind of vibe usually did very well. The places that provided cab rides home for all the concierges did even better.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

I've only been to one very snooty place. A restaurant on Lake Geneva in NY where a friend of mine was a server. She invited her hubby and I to dine there one night (free!!). It was lovely (in a giant old house converted to a small formal restaurant) but I was extremely uncomfortable with all the fuss and bother. Too many servers hovering about. The food was good and the prices outrageous so would never go and pay myself. I'm not a restaurant person and not a foodie so generally don't enjoy the experience overall. Can't remember the name of the place but it was a 3 or maybe 4 star restaurant so probably well known.

Thread Information