Thread: Need to think about what to do, retreats,

Need to think about what to do, retreats,

So I sent in registration for a retreat in January and I am number 6 on the wait list. I am not sure about waiting since I need to get travel set up. Now I am wondering about what to do next. I have been struggling to go on retreats for several years and it is not easy. I have several months a year that are 'black out' dates for time off in my type of work. So do I hang in there, look for a new retreat, give it up for another year? I guess I don't totally expect an answer but maybe commiseration on how setting an intention to do something is really only one small part. Sigh

Is there something specific that you would get from the retreat? I've found it much less stressful to just "take a vacation" in which I bring what meditative things I wish, and then just stay in quiet space, ideally a natural attractive place without much going on. Really, whether you're in "retreat mode" can be up to you.

Sometimes I feel like the only thing I do get done is the setting of intentions, as if the universe is looking down just waiting for me to act on a plan so it can stomp on it. When I get to that place, I try to take a step back and ask myself whether I need more perseverance, or I need to realign my actions with the flow of my life.

Hope you find some peace somewhere!!

ETA:I have a book by Jennifer Louden called "Women's Retreat Book" (don't know why it has to be women, per se, but that's the title) about how to create your own retreat. It's been helpful to me.

Yes, i am pretty clear about what I want. I have been on a few 3 day and 1 day retreats and would love the chance to do anything from 5-7 days. Just to get deeper and less interrupted. The value of sangha (group) and teacher is also something I very much want and have been trying to work towards for a couple years but family things were a priority. I want to work towards a 14-30 day retreat in the next 2-3 years and generally you need 2 week long retreats with a known teacher to do that.

I totally get that 'doomed' feeling, some things just do not seem to work out and you know it. I am not getting that feeling here, I AM getting the feeling that I need to just suck it up and pay the money if I am serious about it. there is another one in January but the scholarships are no longer available. The good news about that retreat is that I would have the option of further retreats as a work retreatant and my room and board would be covered. That is MUCH more possible. So an investment this time has potential for opening up more opportunities

I know retreats are not perfect environments, it is just good to spend some time feeling a sense of belonging and support from similar people

mmm, I get that, I'll admit that a 'private retreat' renews me but doesn't always fill me with that same sense of lingering mind shift, connection, that new post-experience outlook I get when I do something interactive. Maybe a little financial suck up is the answer for you.

Have you every thought of going to the Omega Institute in NY? They're May have the type of class you are looking for, and it is supposed to be beautiful there, with nature around...

I haven't checked them out, but have heard good thing$. There are a couple retreat center in Colorado that are tibetan buddhi$t and zen tradition$. The in$ight one$ are in California and back ea$t that I have $een, I vvould like to be in the In$ight/theravadan/dharma punx grouping. That i$ vvhere I have been vvorking $o far. They tend to be rea$onable but I have had a lovv income. I have a bit of ea$e right novv and over the next year or $o. Any place I need to fly to i$ going to be part of financial $uck it up

Have you looked into Ratna Ling in California? There are options for work/study programs on site. They even have a posting in coolworks.com right now. It's a fabulous place!
    Last edited by mschrisgo2; 11-2-14 at 1:07am.

Okay I found a retreat at Spirit Rock that works for me. 7 days in January. The last day I would be returning from retreat is a school holiday and that will make it even easier. A bonus to going to Spirit Rock is that they offer work retreat options for people who have done previous retreats. So this opens up more possibilities for future retreats even if the income is limited for them.

Calming now,

Thread Information