Thread: Last Bean Standing............

Last Bean Standing............

When everything else in the garden was dead, these Blue Lake pole beans on keeping on. I think they would have grown even much higher, had they had a taller support. I had to get a ladder to pick them. We're supposed to get a freeze this weekend, so that will probably do them in. But it was sure nice having them stay around so long.

That is one huge plant!!!

We've had a couple light freezes and our Kentucky Wonder beans look about like yours. They were only average producers during the summer, but went wild in the fall. Forecasting 18* tonight. That will probably be the end of that.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

I had almost given up on these guys too, in August. they had a lot of foliage, but no flowers........then they took off.
    I grew kentucky blue for early beans and these other ones for later............much later.
    I do like growing the combo of these for a long bean season. I'm still looking for a good roma pole bean. Haven't found any I like yet.
    One thing I've discovered about beans (at least here) is they refuse to make any blossoms at all, if it's in the 90s for any length of time. It was really nice to finally have a good bean season again.

Thread Information