Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Casual urban cyclist

Quote Originally Posted by Tiam View Post
    I agree the basket can alter balance and steering. I do ride with a pack also. I like the basket because it basically pops on and takes no installation. And you are right about pressure. If I've been slack in riding, I need to go get air. (don't have a bike pump here) I don't know what you man by "fat" on the tires.
    Yeah, okay, some clarification: What I was referring to is tire cross-section. The two specifications for tire size is rim diameter, and tire cross-section. The rim size, you're stuck with; but for around town, what with potholes, curbs, debris in the road and cracks in the pavement, wider tires are better and thus, more accepted. Road bikes generally have narrow(small cross-section)tires, for speed. But, I think that the "Schwinn Tourist" that is sold at Target and other fine department stores, is equipped with 700c(wheel dia)-28(tire width)tires. That may work well enough, for the time being. until one of them goes bad with a cut that isn't repairable. Then, you might go up with a pair of 32 or bigger, and spend the $75-80 a pair for the good Kevlar ones that are way less vulnerable to flats. Be sure they have enough clearance to fit, before you buy. Different brands vary; one mfrs' nominal size tire may differ from another companies' in actual size. Can't go wrong with Schwalbe Marathon plus or Continental Gatorskins. See?I contended with having flats & punctures on nearly-new tires, until I bought the "expensive" ones. Rarely get flats, now. Hope that helps you some.
    Last edited by Packy; 4-7-15 at 4:54pm.

Thread Information