Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Getting rid of mouse urine/odor

Help! Getting rid of mouse urine/odor

We had a total of three mice in our basement this winter; but their odor remains and we use this area for guests

I have tried the vinegar, then the baking soda then the arm and hammer baking soda method; i haven't hear any good news on the web. we have both linoleum and carpet

I hate to buy something off the shelf if I don't have good confirmation that it works

oh we have also used airing out; but its pee and pee smells as you know by animals don't go away

signed pulling my hair out
    "I 'll walk where my own nature would be leading. It vexes me to choose another guide" Emily Bronte

Don't know if this would work for lino and carpet but someone who left squash in their car trunk and had it go really rotten was advised to simply sprinkle coffee grounds in the car, let it rest and then vacuum it all up and the smell was gone.

I cannot remember if it was fresh ground dry coffee but expect that it was. Worth a try anyway.
    http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf319481.tip.html
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I've had good luck with "Nature's Miracle", but you need to follow the instructions with it, and be patient.

Mrs-M
    Babr. Take a look at this. http://biokleenhome.com/

I used (Bac-Out Stain & Odor Eliminator) with great success about 3 years ago. At the time I had two babies in diapers and the old diaper pail I was using was starting to show/smell it's age. No matter what I did/tried in the way of removing odour from the pail, nothing worked, so I dropped by our Industrial Janitorial Supply Centre and the sales lady recommended Bi-O-Clean. It worked.

Nature's Miracle is the bomb! Great at removing tomcat spray, so mouse pee should be a piece of cake.

thanks guys; for all your help; i would look into all these options; i love baking soda and vinegar for some things but its just not working on this stuff; i can't believe the smell from just three mice; but they say you wouldn't beleive how uch urine they release or maybe its just the odor; like cat urine
    "I 'll walk where my own nature would be leading. It vexes me to choose another guide" Emily Bronte

Mrs-M
    I think it's just the odour Babr. Ewww!

yeah we had such a pleasant nonsmelly basement and three mice created the smell of well the fact that you had some type of animal; it wouldn't be such a big deal but the rest of the house smells fine; so company comes and then you get them settled in the basement and as soon as you are at the bottom of the stairs there comes the odour as you call it mrs. m; and personally it would bother me; its like what is that smell; it would keep me up at night; not what you want your guests to experience unless you want them to leave in that case just let a mouse loose in your home and voila; no more people in your home; you would have the place to yourselves lol

Mice evolved to have stinky pee, they use it as part of their mousy social structure and communication.

My cottage has had mice in the past. Much of the smell is from ammonia and other chemicals that have remained when the pee dried up. The only way to clean this up is to get the items wet, so the dried up pee residue can be dissolved in water then mopped or sucked up. Floors like linoleum need to be mopped with a regular floor cleaner.

Carpets need to get washed/shampooed with an industrial type wet shampoo machine. You could probably rent one. You might have to do the same with furniture, if it stinky. I have found that carpet or furniture that really stinks simply must be thrown out.

We had problems with mice at our former house out in the country. They would routinely move into the kitchen and take up housekeeping under the fridge. Pee-eww! After getting rid of the mice, just lots of water and Pine-Sol eventually got rid of the smell, but fortunately they never moved in around carpeted areas. Half the battle is actually finding where the pee is. If it's soaked through a carpet and into the wooden subflooring, you may have a bigger problem. I hope it hasn't!

Thread Information