Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gluten Free Quick Bread recipes?

Gluten Free Quick Bread recipes?

I'm making a bunch of quick breads next week for our Community Garden fun night. I've got a great zucchini-apple-carrot bread recipe, and a good pumpkin bread too. (trying to stick with the garden theme...)

But I'd like to make a gluten free loaf for our gf gardeners that has the same sort of thing...some kind of fruit or veggie you might grow in your own garden.

I've looked at some of the recipes online but I am suspicious, and so am asking for those of you who've tried this kind of thing: Do you have a gluten-free quick bread recipe that you really like eating, and others do too? Can you share it or point me to it?

Thanks!

If you buy a GF all-purpose flour mix you can just sub it into the recipes you already know directly. I sometimes use Bob's Red Mill's GF mix. What I don't know is why some recipes use xanthan gum and some don't. I suspect that if you add an extra egg you would never need the x.g.

I have read you can use powdered gelatin in place of xanthan gum, which I plan to try next time I experiment with GF bread.

What you don't want your diet to consists of large portions of isolated bacteria cell walls? Whew, talk about manufactured food.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    What you don't want your diet to consists of large portions of isolated bacteria cell walls? Whew, talk about manufactured food.
    I'm not intimidated by bacteria poop, or whatever--after all, it's fermented! But I've heard gelatin makes for better texture.

Just replace the regular wheat based flour with buckwheat flour. Buckwheat is GF, the 'wheat' in the name is a misnomer.

I use it to make blueberry banana bread

Gelatin can help for some gluten free recipes, but it isn't a cure all. Gluten is the structure that holds bread, or any baked goods, aloft, so to speak. This is what xanthan gum does in the absence of gluten. I know it's an expensive product, but you only use a teaspoon or two in each recipe. And in so many recipes, it makes the difference between good product and just 'getting by' product.
    Bread is the most difficult gluten free product because we expect high, light loaves, for sandwiches and French toast and such.

What kind of bread are you wanting? Bread that features something you grow in your garden? Like what? Zucchini bread? That sort of thing?
    OK, re-reading your post, you want a fruit bread of some sort. OK, I'll give you a recipe. This is what I do...develop recipes for a bakery. This recipe is really good for French toast too. I actually developed this recipe for some customers who couldn't tolerate yeast, corn, or nightshade (potato), but found I prefer it myself to standard yeast bread simply because it's so easy and quick to make.

Yeast Free Fruit Bread
    1 1/2 cup tapioca flour
    1 1/2 cup brown rice flour
    2 teaspoons cream of tartar
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1/3 cup sugar (this doesn't make this bread terribly sweet, but I don't like my fruit bread sweet. You could actually add 1/3 cup more if you wished)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon xanthan gum (yes, it's a lot, but we are talking about bread here!)
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    2 cups buttermilk
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    nuts and fruit as you like (I usually just grab a handful and toss in. It's probably 1/2 cup worth of fruit and 1/4 to 1/3 cup chopped nuts)
    citrus peel to compliment the fruit, maybe 1 teaspoon

Mix dry in med/large bowl (excluding fruit/nuts) In smaller bowl, mix wet. Add all at once to dry, mixing well. Add fruit/nuts, mix well. This dough will be stiff.
    Scrape into one large, or two medium well greased loaf pans. Actually, I like to use a greased Bundt/angle food type pan. I think it bakes better and the presentation is beautiful. Set aside and let this dough rest for about 30 minutes. This allows the baking powder (which you have made) to start doing it's thing.
    Bake in a 325 oven for about 65 to 70 minutes. Do the toothpick test. Let it cool about 15 minutes in the pan, then turn out to cool completely. Wrap after cooled.
    This fruit bread is actually better the next day, I think. But if you are going to keep it more days, I'd refrigerate it after the third day as this bread has no preservatives.

Now, if you want to substitute the buttermilk, I have found that 2 tablespoons of vinegar added to soy milk to make the two cups works fine. It thickens up nicely. But you really need the buttermilk, or vinegar, to react with the baking soda/cream of tartar you put in the dry.

I'm sure you noticed that this has no baking powder. That's because baking powder has cornstarch in it, and I was developing this recipe for someone who had allergies to corn. So I made my own. That is the baking soda/cream of tartar mix. The formula is 2 to 1, if anyone has problems with corn. 2 parts cream of tartar to one part baking soda. The cream of tartar does react with the baking soda, but is helped with the addition of buttermilk (or vinegar)
    You can substitute melted butter for the olive oil, but olive oil is fruity enough I have found. Personal preference.

Another really nice addition to this bread is toasted sesame seeds. Makes it taste like some of the fruit breads I remember from Europe, which aren't sweet, but very fruity.

I hope this bread helps.

Quote Originally Posted by peggy View Post
    OK, I'll give you a recipe. This is what I do...develop recipes for a bakery.
    Quite possibly the coolest job ever.
    The brain is wider than the sky. -- Emily Dickinson

Thanks Peggy. If we put something like a banana into the bread, do you cut back on buttermilk or oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    Thanks Peggy. If we put something like a banana into the bread, do you cut back on buttermilk or oil?
    To be honest, I've never tried putting banana in this. I've always used it for raisins/cranberries/blueberries nut bread, and then almost always because I planned to make French toast.
    You could cut back on the buttermilk, maybe 1/4 cup, but no more as a mashed banana is still kind of dry-ish (as opposed to applesauce, or something like that.) If you wanted to do banana bread, I'd also up the sugar as this isn't a very sweet fruit bread. At least not by US standards, where some expect a fruit bread or muffin to be almost like cake. And I'd add maybe some cinnamon or nutmeg, and certainly chopped pecans or walnuts. And vanilla.

OH, almost forgot. THE. BEST. TEA SANDWICHES. This fruit bread made with dried cranberries and walnuts sliced medium thick and spread with cream cheese. Perfect for a little party or get together.
    Last edited by peggy; 4-27-13 at 6:09pm. Reason: to add the tea sandwich comment

Thread Information