Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tracfone advice?

Sad Eyed Lady-

You're brilliant!!!! Thanks for linking the Tracfone air-time purchase with your Kroger store for the fuel points. I'm glad that tip didn't slip by me, and that's why I frequent the Simple Living Forum - to gather some fresh ideas.

Question for you guys using TracFone: I notice some of the phones come with an email client. How many minutes does it cost to check and send email? Or do you have to buy a data card (in addition to an airtime card) to use the email feature? Or maybe emails are handled and charged like text messages? I don't see any info about this on TF's website.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    Question for you guys using TracFone: I notice some of the phones come with an email client. How many minutes does it cost to check and send email? Or do you have to buy a data card (in addition to an airtime card) to use the email feature? Or maybe emails are handled and charged like text messages? I don't see any info about this on TF's website.
    Don't know - mine is old and not equipped to do much of anything except send and receive calls, and I can text with it.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Just got screwed one more time by AT&T (don't go with GoPhone). Paid my $25 monthly rate fee the day before it was due, received confirmation and then today my phone went dead after a text said my account balance was insufficient. Somehow .25 cents had been deducted from the $25 I sent and the smallest increment I could add was $10 to get my service back. I did that but then they billed my card another $25 instead of $10. If I try to call, I enter robot call hell. I am convinced they actually design their systems and services to confuse and confound. I guess they figure that all customers using a prepaid service are either poor or stupid. They are of the devil

I only use my cell phone about once a week when I am on call with a volunteer job. We have used tracphones for years and have been very happy. I recently upgraded mine to a smart phone mostly for a back up GPS. I have to say that I can't believe how impressed I've been by this phone. Google maps is so much better than our stand alone GPS. When I have been out on calls I have run them side by side and the phone gives better instructions and then gives me a picture of the house/business when I arrive. Can't tell you how important that is when you can't find a house number. I keep forgetting it has a phone on it but I used it recently and was surprised at the picture quality. I went on a hike and used the phone and my camera. There was no difference in the quality. Now I will admit how anti tech I am. I am not a fan of texting. I find it tedious. My previous phone was the type with the sliding keyboard. I have fumble fingers on the smart phone and looked down and discovered you could do it by voice. Holy cow............ I prepay $99 for a year. For the GPS with as much as I use it, totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Just got screwed one more time by AT&T (don't go with GoPhone). Paid my $25 monthly rate fee the day before it was due, received confirmation and then today my phone went dead after a text said my account balance was insufficient. Somehow .25 cents had been deducted from the $25 I sent and the smallest increment I could add was $10 to get my service back. I did that but then they billed my card another $25 instead of $10. If I try to call, I enter robot call hell. I am convinced they actually design their systems and services to confuse and confound. I guess they figure that all customers using a prepaid service are either poor or stupid. They are of the devil
    That is so crappy, ugh.

I am convinced they actually design their systems and services to confuse and confound.
    I'm convinced just about all mega businesses do the best they can to get "oh %^*# just forget it" money. I've tried paying credit cards on the statement closing date because I wanted to get it over with, only to find there was an unmentioned pending charge slipped in at (frankly, after) the last minute, leaving me with an overdue balance. Any time I try to tweak our phone service, there is up front cost and then some elaborate pro-rating I can't for the life of me figure out in the next month(s). Ending cell service is a dribbly affair as well. If you pay interest one time on a credit card and then pay it off, you will probably wind up paying interest for aother month or two. Just try to cancel a gym membership without paying for something after you can no longer use the facility. Everything's set up to autobill into eternity unless you catch it on the bill and specifically cancel and even then it may not disappear. Unethical rubbish.

Unethical rubbish.
    It does seem very unethical and probably illegal. But they "gotcha" and so they continue.
    It always vexes me how one has to wait 24 hours to see a credit but if you are second late you get charged a late fee.

It always vexes me how one has to wait 24 hours to see a credit but if you are second late you get charged a late fee.
    Same with (on-line but not on-line-only) merchants who start sending you emails even before you've finished placing your Web order, but somehow cannot manage to remove you from their spam firehose in less than "five to seven business days". Yeah. Sure.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I have the GoPhone, and haven't had trouble with it--but Tracfone sounds pretty good. I'll file that information away for future use--like when I install my wi-fi and want to get a smart phone again. Thanks!

Thread Information