Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cast Iron Skillet Question

Cast Iron Skillet Question

I bought our first cast iron skillet about six months ago (I know, what took me so long, right?) and I've been trying my best to season it properly. I read the manufacturer's suggestions, watched You Tube videos and read internet instructions, which all seemed to agree that I should apply a light coating of oil and let it sit in a hot oven for an hour or two. Well, I've done this over and over again and I can't seem to achieve the perfectly seasoned, non-stick condition that all my mother's 50 year old cast iron has had for seemingly all my life.

Might I have too high an expectation or am I simply doing it all wrong?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I bought our first cast iron skillet about six months ago (I know, what took me so long, right?) and I've been trying my best to season it properly. I read the manufacturer's suggestions, watched You Tube videos and read internet instructions, which all seemed to agree that I should apply a light coating of oil and let it sit in a hot oven for an hour or two. Well, I've done this over and over again and I can't seem to achieve the perfectly seasoned, non-stick condition that all my mother's 50 year old cast iron has had for seemingly all my life.

Might I have too high an expectation or am I simply doing it all wrong?
    I failed to ever season my cast iron pans although I probably didn't try as carefully as you did.

But I still LOVE them. They are heavy and they do not burn things. I just accept that I will be washing them with soap and water, scrubbing them down, and drying them immediately. And to that end I let the dogs lick them.

What temp and what kind of oil are you using?

In any case, it does take a while for the seasoning to really hold, and needs regular use with oily substances. My griddle stays perfectly seasoned , but the 6" skillet that I use for cornbread does not (because I don't regularly cook anything oily in there) and needs to be reseasoned fairly regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    What temp and what kind of oil are you using?
    In the seasoning process I've tried various combinations of animal fats, vegetable oils and olive oil at temps between 375 and 450 degrees for anywhere from 1 to 2 hours. I also use the pan 4 to 5 times a week and clean up with hot water only. I'm beginning to think I may be cooking at too high a temp?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

you might be interested in this article:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/t...cast-iron.html

I agree with both IL and herbgeek: I don't season my pans. Well, I might have a couple of times. But I cook with both butter and oil, and wash with soap and water and a sponge, and then just wipe it dry.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by nickycat View Post
    you might be interested in this article:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/t...cast-iron.html
    Hmmm, that was interesting. They suggested that I heat the pan and then rub in oil and allow it to cool, where I've been rubbing in oil and then heating it up. I'll have to try that.

Alan, what brand of castiron did you go with? My mother has a wall full of Griswold (she is a Griswold) but she won't pass any along to me yet. I've always wondered if there is a difference between brands and how well they hold up.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I've never bothered to voodoo-season any of my cast-iron skillets.

What I *do* do that works well is avoid cleaning them with soap as much as possible, using instead abrasive salt and a scrubby pad/towel and hot water, then when it's clean I warm it up on the stovestop and rub it with olive or peanut oil and let cool, then wipe once with a towel before I put it away. This light coat of warmed/cooled oil seems to stick reasonably well, and prevent corrosion from the saltwater air here.

I've been away for a couple of days. (no internet access) While I know cast iron was good for frying, I never heard/considered it to be non stick? (isn't that part of the reason you cook with oil/lard/etc. in it? Lubricant)

Thread Information