Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you get a newspaper?

We still get the paper but it is now down to four days a week. I hate that. Hubby doesn't mind reading online but I'm not a fan. I don't read anything but the hard copy. After it is read we have so many uses for it. Starting the woodstove, uses in the garden... My cup of coffee just doesn't seem right without the paper in the other hand.

I live in a tourist town which doesn't like bad news in print so the paper has gotten pretty small over the years. I can't remember the last time I paid for it but it was 75cents for 6 pages. There is a free one I pick up and glance at but it's usually headlines I've already read on-line 2 days prior. I use to pay for the Sunday paper from the town to our north, for the coupons. But when it hit $2something for Sunday and the coupon section got smaller I gave it up.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I used to be a daily dead-tree newspaper reader, but no more. There's all the news "that's fit to print" on line (and the Jumble and Sudoku), with no newsprint to recycle and no ink to rub off all over everything.

I have subscribed to the local paper off and on over the years; it is the best source of news coverage in town. It has shrunk in size considerably, but still is the best, though I buy a copy at the grocery store, occasionally. I did not like the expense and to have the newspapers piling up, since the recycling bins were moved across town. Stupid reason, huh? They used to have paper vending machines at every gas station or shopping center, but that went away years ago. I like it--well actually, I am amused--when someone says a newspaper is "too liberal". Are they supposed to take a "the earth is flat" position on everything? Report nothing but Good News--the outcome of a local PTA Bake Sale as the headline story? But see, they are not really "Liberal", ideologically. They do two things, basically: a) report events by newsmakers, and/or b) present the subject in such a manner as to arouse controversy. Many serious newspaper readers(old fogeys or young fogeys who do everything the way Dad did, and his Dad, before him) aren't willing to accept change and adjust, accordingly. They idealize the past. That is their mindset. But, they cannot resist reading that nasty old rag to see some more of that controversial "liberal" news. In other words, the world from the point of view of a reporter who is out there, seeing events happen and trends emerging. But, fogeys read it over the morning coffee, to get aroused from their sleep. Dad always did drive a Desoto, and so I always drive a Desoto. But the damn newspaper just said Desoto went outta business in 1961! Whaaat? Damn Liberals! But, they still can't resist reading it, kind of like Church Lady, who always lets Satan tempt her prurient interests, but then pulls back from the abyss. It gives them/her something to be sanctimonious about. Here is something that is no coincidence, either: I believe that St Louis was the place where newspaper publisher Joseph Pulitzer not only promoted "Yellow Journalism", but established the Pulitzer Prize for excellence in journalism! What that says to me is that excellent journalism, by definition, arouses people and very often, negative emotions. See how that works, now? Thankk Mee.
    Last edited by Packy; 12-11-14 at 7:58pm.

We have subscribed to the paper for 30+ years. Now it is $ 40.00 for 8 weeks, home delivered. I read the headlines and some articles, the vitals, and daily comics. DW likes local news & sports. She really really likes football (HS, College, Pro).

I question it's value everytime I pay that bill. With instant news online and broadcast media, it seems like most of it is "old news" by the time it is printed.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    We have subscribed to the paper for 30+ years. Now it is $ 40.00 for 8 weeks, home delivered. I read the headlines and some articles, the vitals, and daily comics. DW likes local news & sports. She really really likes football (HS, College, Pro).

I question it's value everytime I pay that bill. With instant news online and broadcast media, it seems like most of it is "old news" by the time it is printed.
    A few years ago, I contacted the paper to whom I had subscribed since the mid-80s. I commented on how new subscribers would get discounts but not the people who were long-time subscribers. Well, they cut us a great deal.... $10 mo/1st year, $13/mo 2nd year, and $15/mo for the 3rd year. Obviously, others had complained also. Might be worth a phone call, Greg44???

I haven't noticed any deals for the paper - except if you sign up for automatic payment, they will send you a
    coupon for a pizza :-(

I will keep an eye out for any deals - it never hurts to ask!

Our only subscription is for a local weekly paper which does great investigative journalism into issues the larger papers ignore or whitewash. The paper has won awards for their stories. They also foster community development in this rural area. Honestly, if they doubled the annual price from $50 to $100, I think it would still be worth it to support the quality of their work. It's also the only source for what is going on in the area.

We can get regular national and international news via CBC Radio (Canadian public broadcasting) and CBC online which we pay for indirectly through our taxes.

I don't get a newspaper. I usually read the news on line. My parents still get the daily and Sunday paper. They are in the Bay Area. They enjoy it every morning.

When I was a teenager I loved reading the LA Times. I'd go right for Dear Abby, Sydney O'Marr, and the Calendar section. Seems like I've cut out a lot of things since owning a home and going frugal...I do love my library books, though! I also do a lot of research on the Internet.

I read the local paper daily.

Thread Information