Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you get a newspaper?

Do you get a newspaper?

Since I lost my hearing and can't listen to the radio I find that I am really falling behind on current events. The newspaper where we currently live is awful, but I'm looking forward to getting a daily newspaper when we move to Ashland. It seems to cover both local and world events really well.

I've tried keeping up using online sources, but it's just not cutting it.

One thing about people who have the TV on a lot, they really keep up with the news.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

We don't get the daily "rag" here either (it's a complete waste of money), and I get obituaries and local news, and some state/national news from the on-line source for two of our local radio stations.

I have a digital subscription to the Chicago Tribune, but I often buy the Daily Herald, which is our very good suburban paper. I like actually reading the paper paper, not just the digital edition, but it's nice to not have to deal with all the papers.

I never watch tv and only listen to the radio intermittently when driving. I find the news to be highly stressful most of the time, largely because of the sensationlist way it is presented. I skim headlines online, take a closer look at what is important or interesting. That's enough for me. If anything important happens, I'll know about it... and odds are, important or not, I can't do much about what's happening anyway.

monday to Saturday we have The Daily Telegraph and The Scotsman delivered. Sundays we read The Sunday Times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
    I never watch tv and only listen to the radio intermittently when driving. I find the news to be highly stressful most of the time, largely because of the sensationlist way it is presented. I skim headlines online, take a closer look at what is important or interesting. That's enough for me. If anything important happens, I'll know about it... and odds are, important or not, I can't do much about what's happening anyway.
    That's about how I feel ... and yes I'm ignorant of some things everyone else seems to know all about (what is ISIS? yet another Dreadful Threat (that makes what, 700 Dreadful Threats I've lived though?) that's got something to do with the middle east. End of my knowledge.) Maybe I'm borderline asperger's too, because I really couldn't care less about a lot of things the world seems to find essential, and I'm very interested in some that seem boring or off the radar for most people. The world will probably survive without my audience participation, I figure.

Gardenarian, we do get the city newspaper each day. DH is the big reader. I skim it 3 or 4 times a week, and often skip it entirely.

We don't watch tv news at all, but we have the radio on all of the time, so we always get national headline news. The local newspaper is useful for local news. I also get a fair amount of headline news just having YAHOO load on my computer in front of me daily.

DH often gets mad at the extreme liberal slant of the St. Louis Post Dispatch and threatens to drop it. And then, there is his battle with the "online" charge which is pretty amusing. Each month they bill us for the newspaper adding a small "online access" fee of around $2. He crosses that fee off the bill, writes on it "I don't use or want this service" and he pays the bill without the online fee. So far there have been no repercussions.

The reason this came up for me was that I took a survey on current events and couldn't identify half the world's leaders! It's important for my job to have a general knowledge of current events, and I'm really not up to speed. I think it will be helpful for dd, just starting high school, as well.

I agree that constant alerts of EBOLA! TERRORISM! SERIAL KILLERS! are silly at best and can lead to worrying too much. I like newspapers because I can choose precisely what I want to read.

I do feel a bit bad about the paper that goes into making them.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    The reason this came up for me was that I took a survey on current events and couldn't identify half the world's leaders! It's important for my job to have a general knowledge of current events, and I'm really not up to speed. I think it will be helpful for dd, just starting high school, as well.

I agree that constant alerts of EBOLA! TERRORISM! SERIAL KILLERS! are silly at best and can lead to worrying too much. I like newspapers because I can choose precisely what I want to read.

I do feel a bit bad about the paper that goes into making them.
    I can't identify half of the world's leaders. I've taken one of those tests and did not do well. If it is a visual image, I always fail at that. That's because I do not watch tv news. Outside of the visual, I'm still weak on world leaders such as names.

As far as online news, I am brought to impatience and often even anger each day when the local newspaper site takes forever to load anything. I can open and scan a printed page faster than the stupid thing can work, and we just upgraded our internet speed and have a new computer. This is as good as it gets, and the quality of the web experiences sucks.

I said upthread htat DH does not read the newspaper online. OTOH *I* login to the newspaper's site a few times a week. But I use my login that I've had for a decade, a free login. I don't know what the "official" paid login privilege will get me, maybe reduced ads? All of those spinning, flashing ad thingies will go away and the load will happen faster? I don't know, and don't have enough respect for the St. Louis Today site & newspaper to take time to find out.

Or maybe you're just experiencing the beginning of what foregoing Net Neutrality will get us - no usable news unless we pay the $2 extortion fee.

Thread Information