Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you get a newspaper?

I read the local newspaper daily. I like to sit in my chair with coffee & hold it. Much better then reading online. I watch the national news nightly on TV.

WE do have the daily delivered to our home. I feel better informed not only like some of you have said, about world leaders, etc., but also about community events, sports, and politics. We are in the Portland media market, so all we hear about on tv news is focused on Oregon or PDX, very little on southwest WA (mainly traffic alerts). And we get nothing about the rest of the state, either, because of the media market. We do not watch national broadcast news because you only really get 19 minutes of headlines--no in-depth coverage.

But, that aside, we also enjoy getting the paper because DH and I enjoy the routine of it, sitting down together in the morning and having coffee and reading, discussing things we've read. AND we do the Jumble and sudoku and enjoy the comics, too. It's one of our simple pleasures.

We had an embarrassingly low voter turnout this past election. I think 1-if they emphasized in schools the importance and privilege of voting to youth, and 2- if people read their news more than just scanned it on FB or online someplace, we might see more participation in the process.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

The local paper has the nicknames of 2 ply and the exaggerator. At best, it has a page of stories and the rest is ads, horoscope, etc. It is a slow death coming. The regional paper, nicknamed, the Red star, tends to have stories in it, after they have already been online. The reasons to buy them are obit's and if your shopping for something specific and it isn't something you see in their ads on sites such as salescircular.

Besides those reasons, one other reason that I am turned off by them, is a late neighbor. All she ever did was complain about what she read in the paper or on the news, and around the neighborhood, she was called Mrs. Kravitz (from Bewitched). She would call and call and call to ask and nose into peoples business.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Those who are familiar with my posts may find this interesting - I do get a paper. I get the Wall Street Journal delivered to the house for free. Actually it's an interesting paper and it covers more than just business. How do I get it for free, you ask? On one of my survey panels, this is the nicest free award when you have enough points so I just keep getting this. Maybe someday the plug will be pulled on it, who knows, but it's nice while it lasts. Rob

DW gets the Saturday and Sunday dead-tree papers. She likes turning the pages and reading on paper. I'd much rather read on-line, where I can look things up quickly or hit Wikipedia for some background. But the paper has a paywall -- you can read only 10 articles a month without a subscription. OTOH the two-day sub (you can't get just Sunday) gives us full access to the Web site 7x24 on whatever device we're reading it. It's a decent tradeoff for us.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

As some folks mentioned, I like the ritual of the morning paper. Read the headlines, do the crossword - I've missed it!

I get the online version of our local paper now and enjoy reading it quickly each day along with the CBC website. I also check the Christian Science Monitor to see what is happening in the world and the US with periodic checks of the Toronto Daily Star. Now that I have gas fireplace In my lovely new home, I don't need that firestarter paper that I did on the farm's wood fireplace.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I'd love the get the print New York Times, but it's just too darned expensive. A daily subscription now costs almost $600 a year! The digital version is less, but I don't have a tablet or e-reader and therefore would have to read it exclusively on my laptop, which doesn't appeal.

Our local newspaper is AWFUL. It's one of those chain-owned papers that have been milked for every penny of profit, all the while cutting staff and raising the price. I used to work for a small-town newspaper that was family-owned, and it was better than our local rag. And this isn't a small town, either--pop. around 150,000.

Small and medium-size papers everywhere are in a death spiral. A new model will emerge eventually, but it's not clear yet what it will look like.

I get the newspaper delivered on weekends, and I enjoy reading it, although it might be in a quick mini-marathon on a Sunday if the weekend has been busy. I don't know if it's because of regular newspaper reading that I seem to be one of the few in my circle of friends who is aware of interesting local happenings that we can go to. I also feel better informed on more areas where there has been serious in-depth reporting: most recently, immigration.

Because of my paid subscription I can access these articles online, but after being on a computer for most of my workday, I'm rather not come home and continue working/reading on a computer.

We do get the daily newspaper - though they have gone to a 5-day publishing schedule so it's not so daily anymore. And I feel that it is a truly good county newspaper - they of course focus on their hometown news (the county seat, 10 miles away), but do a good job of including the news from the other area small towns. They have a good mix of national news and area news. Just tonight, the front page had a story - headed in large font - about the city council of our small town of 3,000 souls raising the water rates 5% for next year. News we can use.

And since we're old(er), we need to have the obituaries. Do I need to send a card? Send a card with stamps, or send flowers? Go by the house with prepared food for a real sympathy visit?

DH and I laugh that the area newspaper wasn't as important to us 5-10 years ago. He worked for the local city public works and I worked for the local Post Office. Between the two of us we knew ALL the local news that was fit to know. And much that wasn't. We're out of the loop now. And enjoy the newspaper.

Thread Information