Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Draggies

The Draggies

Seems like every year around this time, I get hit by "The draggies." I get VERY tired. Very lethargic, very low energy. Nothing helps. Not coffee, not vitamin D or B or anything I know of. I just want to sleep and yet don't sleep well. I always take Vitamin D and this year have doubled it. Then it seems that in a month or six weeks or so, I get back into a rhythm and get my energy back, but right now, it's just so hard. I know exercise will help. This particular time of year is not good for me for exercise. I like to commute to work on my bike, but sometimes I'm having to do home visits and stuff and can't. Not sure how much it would help anyway. Anyone else get this and anyone have a helpful hint for combating it?

Do you have a regular wake in the morning, sleep at night schedule? I've read that exposing yourself to bright sunlight early in the morning - as early as the sun will allow, of course - helps to reset our circadian rhythms. A light box could be used instead if you're getting up too early or in a very cloudy place.

I have a hard time with November-December because of the holidays; my body is saying "hibernate" and my TV is saying SPEND! PARTY! DRESS UP, BE FESTIVE, SOCIALIZE!

I hear you. All I want to do and actually had time to do last night was curl up under a blanket and sleep till the spring thaw. Was pretty disappointed it wasn't spring today when I woke up. I did sleep from 5:30 p.m. until 5:15 a.m. Seriously....I needed that. But I'm mopey and down and depressed and can't stand that thought that winter has only started.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I actually like winter. I wish my house was warmer, but I like winter. I don't pine for summer. But it seems very hard to acclimate. By the time the shortest days arrive I seem to be getting over it. I think getting sunlight probably is the biggest issue for most people. I do try, and when I can, I get back to that cycling commute.

Sounds like SAD. (Seasonal Affective Disorder)

I've been trying to make sure I great a big dose of sunshine first thing in the morning and making myself get up around sunrise this wintertime. I don't know if it helps, but figure I need all the sun I can get. I certainly sympathize. I count the days until the days start getting longer, which really doesn't happen until nearly a week after solstice. d

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Sounds like SAD. (Seasonal Affective Disorder)
    This is what I'm thinking. Isn't there a light, kind of like a grow light for humans to treat this disorder?

I would try the light treatment. I actually love winter but it is mild where I live. I think some people just need more light then others.

November is a horrible month for me. Its often cloudy and dark, sunny days are rare here in New England (ie there's no sunshine to expose oneself to). Its cold, the trees are bare, and I just want to hibernate. I usually put on a few pounds in November without increasing my food intake substantially. December usually has its share of dark days too, but the holidays keep me in a more upbeat mood (what little shopping I still do is mostly done on line so crowds and rude people don't bring me down). January is always much sunnier, and there are seed catalogs to look forward to. February the days are noticeably longer, and on a sunny day my greenhouse gets up into the 60s for a little solar therapy.

December is always a very difficult month for me. I'm often ok through November. But I get more tired, and I have a greater tendency to get depressed. I suddenly noticed recently every other sentence I say is about patiently enduring something or other .... and I realized I'm steeled toward it. And I'm physically much weaker this time of year too (I catch everything that goes around and it lingers too long).

There might actually be more than sufficient light here to maintain me in winter IF I wasn't in a dimly lit office with no natural light all day. But I am and such are always the offices I work in. And that combination and my body probably thinks I live in Seattle at least in winter. And it's not that I never take a walk outside in the morning before heading to work (I try to but there's a lot to do then) or never get outside the office either (I take a break) but ....
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information