Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You know you're an introvert when....

You know you're an introvert when....

...you look forward to spending time in the ladies room to get away from social situations--even pleasant ones.

The reason i'm posting this is twofold: one, because there have been a couple of threads in which it's noted that this board probably has more introverts than extroverts who regularly post.

I thought of that today, when I really felt great about going to the bathroom at work. I'm doing some research, and in this case, over a dozen clients from Switzerland came to view the research, conduct workshops inbetween, eat together, travel together, etc. etc.

They're REALLY nice people, but man, it's totally social overload right now--after spending 18 hours a day with them with no downtime!!

This feeling reminded me of when I worked for NBC in the production office of the 1976 Republican Convention, and we worked long, long days, and there were no offices--just desks in a big space, and I LOVED going to the bathroom for 3 minutes of solitude.

SO... How would YOU answer the question, "You know you're an introvert when..."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    ...the thought of ever remarrying freaks you out because there's a limit to how much togetherness you can handle.

I am an introvert too, although it has taken me a long time to realize it. I remember going on a lawfirm-sponsored cruise with paralegals that I worked with and I got so burned out with all the activity. One night early I went to my cabin to unwind and balance my checkbook instead of partying. I never lived that one down. But I was perfectly happy!

you anticipate/plan on slipping away from the group with a good book for some needed peace and quiet.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

In our culture, introverted is often confused with shy or socially inept. When I tell people I'm an introvert and really need my alone time, they balk, and say "but you like parties", "but you love to talk to people!", "but you're not socially awkward!", "but you're friendly!" as if being an introvert is exclusive from those other things.

At big family holiday gatherings, I too, will go off to the bathroom for a few minutes of alone time to regroup. At work, I prefer to have lunch alone, in my car, overlooking a pretty pond rather than sharing celebrity gossip in the dreary no-window office kitchen. I have an annual day I've dubbed "Chris Day", where I take off and drive up to Maine and spend the day doing whatever the heck I want. I've had a number of people give me sympathy, say "I'm so sorry" and "I would have gone with you!" when I tell them about my Chris Day adventures. They really don't get that I actually LIKE being alone.

Mrs-M
    Oh boy, I'm almost afraid of answering this one......... Here goes. I know I'm an introvert when I purposely ignore the doorbell chiming and knocks on the front door when I finally get a little time to myself. (Go away)!

I know I'm an introvert (a real introvert) when we all gathered together a number of years ago (family reunion), and after day two I quietly wandered away from the crowd and took up residence in the front yard weeding and watering. (So tired of all the hugging, and kissing, and schmoozing, and white noise chatting).

I know I'm an introvert when a neighbour happens by for morning coffee (our house- and not on a favourable day) and after the second cup I excitedly jump up from my chair and say to them- "oh lordy, it's such and such a time, time for me to get things straight, I've got to be at so and so by such and such a time". (There are times I'm in the mood for company and there are times I'm not). Yes, I am a sinner.

I know I'm an introvert because....I need to be alone for a certain amount each day to recharge my batteries. I can get along fine if I have to skip that alone time for a day or two (like on vacation with family), but then I know I will need extra when life gets back to normal.

I'm so thankful I married a man to whom I can say, "I need to be alone right now," without hurting his feelings. What has really worked for us is that I am a morning person and he is a night owl, so we each get some automatically built-in alone time each day.

Kara

...you enjoy grocery shopping at 11:00 PM.

I used to work swing shift and would shop for groceries after work at a 24 hour grocery store. I loved it because the aisles were empty and it was mostly quite. I now work days and usually shop around 5:00 PM with everyone else. Every once in a while, I'll go out late on a Friday and grocery shop. I also take my lunches in the car. I find it very relaxing to read or listen to the radio for an hour every day.

my neighbor gardens at night wearing a hikers headlamp to avoid people chatting with him over the back fence while he works!!

...you really would rather stay home with a good book than go out and do something "cool" like a concert or ****tail party.

Actually, DH's idea of the best night ever probably includes some sort of social event with tons of people. That sounds like a total nightmare to me!

Thread Information