Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: You know you're an introvert when....

I'm a bona fid introvert and at one time may have been clinically shy, if there is such a thing. The definition of "surrounded by people" is a little subjective, but I can experience physical discomfort and maybe a bit of mind fog at two or three hours among more than a few or half a dozen people. Situationally and people dependent. Work routines with people wasn't a big issue, but work socials were generally unpleasant instantly.

It's a really good question, Catherine. My husband is one of 7, and I can deal with his family in parts--like up to two siblings at a time, but they all get together for a week and I haven't been in years, it's horrible.

I’m something of a mix. Something with screaming children, I can’t take very long. Quiet gathering, sitting chatting with friends and no loud music? I can go for hours. Loud wedding reception? I go for dinner and leave before the loud music starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I'm a bona fid introvert and at one time may have been clinically shy, if there is such a thing.
    I was very shy when young.. and still manifest some of that. I have never gotten in trouble for being an upstart, but have actually gotten in trouble because of being afraid to bother people.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Five hours! Are you freaking kidding me? That’s a long time. especially when there’s little kids around because they run around and shriek, so much chaos.
    5 hours may seem really long (and it is) but that takes into consideration how DH is JUST the opposite. His skin crawls if he has to be by himself for 5 hours.. he is always compelled to just leave the house so he can interact with the people in town who own shops. He is friends with all of them and he'll just hang out in the stores and talk for hours. I have no idea how they feel about him doing that, but I think that's why he developed a very strong sense of humor. They seem to love him.

Then he'll come home and say, let's invite B & L for dinner! And I'll roll my eyes and he'll accuse me of being anti-social. I've said it many times here, if I didn't have DH, my only friends would be my kids, and my only other social outlet would be my interaction with people in the master gardener group.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We had a 5 people at our house for 9.5 hours a couple of weeks ago and it went very wuickly, so I wasnt stressed.

I told people in advance that anyone could nap if they wished. One person dozed a bit. We went out for lunch then hung around home for a while chatting. Then went out a tour of the winery down the street, them came home. Had a light supper. Then we ferried them to the train to return to St. Louis.

i am A ok with adults I know well. I like having a couple of littlle kids as the center of entertainment but keeping them busy all day seems exhausting.

on the other hand, I never understand people who block children from weddings and receptions. Little kids provide the bulk of the entertainment at a wedding in my opinion because so much else is dull boring stuff.
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    We had a 5 people at our house for 9.5 hours a couple of weeks ago and it went very wuickly, so I wasnt stressed.

I told people in advance that anyone could nap if they wished. One person dozed a bit. We went out for lunch then hung around home for a while chatting. Then went out a tour of the winery down the street, them came home. Had a light supper. Then we ferries them to the train to return to Hermann.

i am A ok with adults I know well. I love to have a couple of littlle kids as the center of entertainment but keeping them busy all day seems exhasuting.

on the other hand, I never understand people who block children from weddings and receptions. Little kids provide the bulk of the entertainment at a wedding in my opinion because so much else is dull boring stuff.
    If you’re having a big formal wedding and a very fancy reception, the last thing you probably want are little out of control heathen running around. I see way too many parents who just let their kids run wild at many different locations and situations. I nearly ran over a kid with my cart at grocery store yesterday as mother was just letting him run wild. He was pulling stuff off the shelves, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    If you’re having a big formal wedding and a very fancy reception, the last thing you probably want are little out of control heathen running around. I see way too many parents who just let their kids run wild at many different locations and situations. I nearly ran over a kid with my cart at grocery store yesterday as mother was just letting him run wild. He was pulling stuff off the shelves, too.
    It kids on dance floors are entertaining.
    I am not a serious person.

They sure are b

The last few weddings I've been to weren't too bad--probably because there were few, if any, children. Unless they are the happy couple's offspring, I would think they would just be bored (and probably obnoxious) anyway.

Thread Information