Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: You know you're an introvert when....

I AM an introvert, and shy, and socially inept! That's three reasons why I enjoy forums like this one where you don't have to speak face to face.
    I am also an artist and go to the occasional art opening. I'm the one in the milling, chatting crowd who goes around along the walls, looking at the art, grabs a cookie or 2 and leaves to go home where I can be happily alone.
    Surprisingly (to me) I can give talks to a crowd, and sing in front of an audience with no problems, but ask me to chat one-on-one and my brain siezes up.

..you really do prefer your own company most of the time. You don't answer the phone. People you want to talk to know how to reach you.

I used to shop after work at midnight, and enjoyed it tremendously. My SO has a favorite picture of me, taken at a wedding reception, in which I'm gazing wistfully out a window (probably thinking "Get me out of here!")

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    ..you really do prefer your own company most of the time. You don't answer the phone. People you want to talk to know how to reach you.

I used to shop after work at midnight, and enjoyed it tremendously. My SO has a favorite picture of me, taken at a wedding reception, in which I'm gazing wistfully out a window (probably thinking "Get me out of here!")
    Not going to any wedding reception again (unless perhaps it's some small do here in my neighborhood. That, I woudl do.).

Received an invitation this week, began making up excuses, and was THRILLED when I looked at the calendar and found the biggest conflict ever, didn't even have to make one up.

oh, I'm just so glad to see so many kindred spirits here........I'm not shy, just solitary, and while I'm married to one of the world's great extroverts, he's also a sensitive and intuitive man who recognizes my introversion and runs interference for me. He is literally the only person in the world that I enjoy being with as much as I enjoy being alone........

we've been here in Tucson, running around all week, seeing old friends, doing stuff, etc., and tomorrow he's going off, leaving me hiding out here in the motorhome, to regroup, because he knows I'm getting frazzled......I just need a LOT of solitary time and a lot of quiet, and believe me, I've used the old "have to go to the bathroom" dodge over the years to the point where people probably wonder all the time, "what is she DOING in there?"..........

And, have you ever noticed that when all you want to do is be alone, it makes you ever more entrancing to other people.....(the Greta Garbo syndrome?)......I'm always AMAZED at how much attention my avoidance of people brings me, unwanted but definitely there. It's as though the more you like to be by yourself, the more curiosity people have about you. I want to just say, "NO, I'm not doing anything interesting, truly....just sitting here in the quiet, reading my book!"

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I find it amazing to this day that in my business (I am a server), I am often considered something of a mystery to my co-workers, as the more I leave right after work and not mingle after work with drinks at some loud place that would drive me crazy, the more they seem to notice me and try to figure out what makes me tick. Finally I decided over the years to show my face once or twice at these after work things so people would realize that I am not very outgoing (i.e., to them boring) outside of the workplace, and I would no longer be a mystery, and therefore off the radar screen. Seems to work.....Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I find it amazing to this day that in my business (I am a server), I am often considered something of a mystery to my co-workers, as the more I leave right after work and not mingle after work with drinks at some loud place that would drive me crazy, the more they seem to notice me and try to figure out what makes me tick. Finally I decided over the years to show my face once or twice at these after work things so people would realize that I am not very outgoing (i.e., to them boring) outside of the workplace, and I would no longer be a mystery, and therefore off the radar screen. Seems to work.....Rob
    So, I guess you know you're an EXTROVERT if you just don't understand introverts! I know my extroverted husband (unlike loosechicken's DH) always says stuff like "I feel SO SORRY for so-and-so. he/she must be SO LONELY." I keep telling him he just might be projecting, that so-and-so might be perfectly happy living alone/not going out or whatever, but he really feels it's his duty to save so-and-so from their lonely existence. He truly doesn't get it at all.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by loosechickens View Post
    oh, I'm just so glad to see so many kindred spirits here........I'm not shy, just solitary, and while I'm married to one of the world's great extroverts, he's also a sensitive and intuitive man who recognizes my introversion and runs interference for me. He is literally the only person in the world that I enjoy being with as much as I enjoy being alone........
    That's how I feel about my DH, too. I'm so lucky to have him. :-)

When you go to a very long party and warn the hostess you will be sitting in the corner with a book part of the evening. I had a VERY extroverted friend and in the group were 2 introverts. The extroverted one liked her annual new years eve party to be very loooong, so we told her we could attend but explained both of us would need a little break during the evening and it worked out.

However I have found that most people do not see me as introverted because I have good social skills. I can come across very extroverted when I need to be. I can substitute teach and give presentations and trainings and not only do well but really enjoy them. I think that is the INFJ thing, we are introverts but we really crave doing things with others and having those connections. I have to feel connected to the people I work with and in my friends/family circle but often with the people I supervise I look for small group and personal training moments. I totally hate things like baby showers where everyone is watching me but then I will get up in front of a group and lead it with no prep. go figure

Quote Originally Posted by loosechickens View Post
    And, have you ever noticed that when all you want to do is be alone, it makes you ever more entrancing to other people.....
    Isn’t that the truth. I purposely do yard work during the week because if you mow your lawn on Saturday, it seems to be an invitation for people to come over and talk. A couple of years ago, there was a big storm that brought down one of my trees. I dragged it to my lawn and then waited until Monday morning to take it apart with the chainsaw. Well about 10 minutes into my sawing, a guy comes over to talk. He introduced himself and then asked if you could add some branches to my pile of branches. There were three or four such piles on the street and it was just an excuse to talk. I was nice to him for a few minutes but I just wanted him to go away. You would think wearing ear protectors and having a running chainsaw would keep people away but I guess not. I’m glad there are others like me.

College was a really rough time for me because of my introversion. I didn't really understand it at that time. It's hard to when you're never alone for one minute to get any time to reflect, and when you are clearly so different from all those around you.

Now, I do all of the things mentioned above... ignore the phone when I need to, ignore the doorbell unless i'm expecting someone, plan my days so that there is lots of quiet time, bow out of invitations when it's too much.

Thread Information