Thread: too much hominy

too much hominy

We got a hankering for posole so I purchased a humongous can of hominy since it was a much better deal than the little can. I added what I needed to a large pot of posole and started puttting the rest in jars and ziploc bags to freeze. I am up to eight freezer containers with more to go and wondering what the heck I'm going to do with all this hominy. Definitely not my brightest moment at the grocery store to buy the restaurant size can. Wondering why I did that with hominy of all things...

I googled best hominy recipes and came up with this recipe for a hominy & cheese: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Zesty-H...l.aspx?evt19=1. There are a lot of tasty sounding dishes there, but this one should use up a lot of hominy at once!

I've dehydrated hominy (out of the can) and milled it into flour to use for making corn tortillas. It will require a real grain mill to make the flour, a blender or food processor won't work. The same dehydrated hominy can also be rehydrated (like other dehydrated foods). You can do a search on "how to use dried hominy" for more how-to information.

Mmm... just made some white bean chicken chili made with a base of pureed hominy. It was THE best! I got it from the Cook's Country website.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

We usually give stuff like that to our neighbors. One of our neighbors loves sweet relish but lives alone; he also buys the super-size because it's a better deal, then he gives us a jar.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Seriously, how expensive than this excess hominay be? This is why dogs are useful, they eat up excess crap like this.

My already overweight weiner dog sureley doesn't need to be eating corn. You're right though...I just didn't want to waste food of any kind. DH kids me about being a food hoarder and I believe there may be some truth to that.

Thread Information