Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you belong to a gym?

Do you belong to a gym?

I have been horrible about getting enough exercise and finally bit the bullet and joined a local gym. It seems like a pretty good deal to me, seems well equipped, unlimited access including hydromassage and tanning bed (would never use that, though), unlimited classes, nice private locker room and showers, and I can take a guest with me every time I go, $20 per month. No pool or other water features, unfortunately. I have only had access to specialized classes for yoga and pilates for a long time, which seem to run $8-$10 each, so this seemed amazingly inexpensive.

But ... I have such mixed feelings about paying to use a gym. All that energy with no tangible practical result; I always wanted a lifestyle that provided me with the exercise I need simply walking, maybe biking, gardening, fishing, potting, whatever. I guess I should be proud of myself for putting my health above some lofty ideals that never come to pass, but it feels like a defeat.

You?

I think if you go, they are a great value. DH belongs to one, because he needs the structure, and his payoff for working out is the sauna they have. He loves it, so that motivates him to get the running in.

But I've been a total failure at every gym I've joined. I have no carrot on a stick--it all seems like such work. The only thing I enjoyed was when DH and I would go to cardio classes together. That was fun.

I'm on the fence about actually signing on for unlimited use of a yoga studio near me… I'm so afraid I'll pony up and then never use it, so right now, I'm comfortable with the drop-in fee.

In theory, I agree with you about getting exercise in daily life, but if that's just not going to happen, $20 is a very reasonable price to pay to get moving on a regular basis, IMHO.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We belonged to the YMCA for a lot of years because hubby's job paid for 1/2 of the membership and we used the facilities 5-days a week, and our kids were still home and they used the "Y" a LOT. Then the "Y" went through a huge building program, increased their fees, and for much of the time we were restricted to only a portion of the facilities while they were under construction, they drained the pool, so it was more of an annoyance than anything and we soon dropped our membership. We now exercise 5-days a week in our basement (at 4 a.m.) with a variety workout equipment (most of it was free or cheap). We even walk in our basement and when you go up and down the stairs several times during a 30-45-minute walk, you get a great workout. I'd never go back to the gym. We used to walk outside at 4 a.m. until it became somewhat dangerous with rabid skunks being found close to our neighborhood, and that's when we started using our basement.

I say it IS worth it. I have let mine lapse but I am ready to renew for many reasons. One is my split schedule that said something about in work section. I had a staff quit and so I do both before and after school now with a break in the middle. I joined the city rec system which means I can go to any of the rec centers, one is near work and another near my house.

Another reason is that I have asthma, that means on a bad day if I ran outdoors I could get 2 miles out and not have an easy time getting back. A treadmill is indoors so no cold air issues, no issues with getting stuck when my body just says no more. The only issue has been the one time someone wore perfume, but that was only once. Plus both rec centers have pools!

The last reason is the benefit to me is mental health. My body gets a little tighter but I don't see major changes, however having no excuses to get exercise on a regular basis means more consistency. Consistency means that I can manage my chronic depression better. I am not sure how you do it, but when I am faced with whether I should walk or find a pool or garden then I spend a chunk of time figuring that out, it is so much easier not to actually do any of it.

Please don't see this as a failure! $20 a month is more than worth it to take care of yourself. That is 5 fancy coffee visits a month, or maybe one manicure, or 2 yoga classes a month. You may not do those other things (I do coffee and manicure) but it really isn't that much. I think simple living allows us to make those choices consciously as life changes, and maybe not be stuck on what we think it should be like

It's ok if you use it. However I just think the chances of me actually fitting it in my work and commute schedule at present approach zero. Maybe I'd make it in on weekends ... (that's probably a REALISTIC assessment of what might happen - and even weekends I'm fitting in so much) And that would be ok. But I do fit walks in near daily because I don't have to drive somewhere in order to walk etc. To me imagining adding one more thing (gym going) to my daily schedule is itself a lofty ideal that would probably never come to pass.
    Trees don't grow on money

We joined one that was 10/month & has pool, lots of classes etc. We went regularly for about a year & then I realized I missed walking outside so now I am doing that. I also inherited my son's big dog so he needs an hour walk a day. I have been reluctant to quit because it is so cheap & once in a while we go to swim or take a class. The fee to join is $200/person -a one time payment so if we quit & then rejoined we would need to pay it again.

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    I have been horrible about getting enough exercise and finally bit the bullet and joined a local gym. It seems like a pretty good deal to me, seems well equipped, unlimited access including hydromassage and tanning bed (would never use that, though), unlimited classes, nice private locker room and showers, and I can take a guest with me every time I go, $20 per month. No pool or other water features, unfortunately. I have only had access to specialized classes for yoga and pilates for a long time, which seem to run $8-$10 each, so this seemed amazingly inexpensive.

But ... I have such mixed feelings about paying to use a gym. All that energy with no tangible practical result; I always wanted a lifestyle that provided me with the exercise I need simply walking, maybe biking, gardening, fishing, potting, whatever. I guess I should be proud of myself for putting my health above some lofty ideals that never come to pass, but it feels like a defeat.

You?
    I have, off and on over the years, belonged to a gym. When I'm in weight loss mode I have to switch up exercise activity every 3 -4 months or it gets boring. While I like walking very much, the machines for upper body exercise are great at a gym. Also, the thing that would often lure me to the gym is that the machines have tv with cable. Since we don't have cable tv here it was an extra perk.

$20 a month is very good. Mine was $40 a month last time I was a member and it was a glitzy downtown gym, but no pool.

Gym Joining Syndrome works like this: People sit inside during the first part of the winter, eat & eat & eat & watch Tee Vee sports because they are VERY sports-minded. They LOVE athletics. After the first of the year, the telemarketers go to work, selling cheap memberships, and the People join up. They go in, use the treadmill or the elliptical, play around on the other machines to try and lose the 5 lbs they picked up. Some do, most don't. Upwards of 95% drop(but continue to pay fees) after 60 days, which is good, because the places would be overcrowded. As for "increased energy", if you think you've got it from working out, then you aren't working out very hard. Training hard enough to promote gain, will make you go home & sleep 10 hours, and need one-two days off from training, for recovery. I do agree with the previous poster who said it seemed like real work. Hope that helps you some. See you there.

Lol. I've actually had good results with gyms in the distant past, I love the way I feel after a few months of directed exercise. It's just that I don't work any more, and it feels like I should have the time to create and implement a workout protocol without paying for it, maybe something with a little more benefit than just the work out, like planted veggies or a sack of groceries in my cabinet or super beautiful hand sanded floors. Only, apparently, I can't.

It sounds like the choice is to either pay $8-10 for individual classes, or to get many more classes for $20? It makes financial sense to join, and it may motivate you to exercise more. It's nice to think about a kind of life where you would just spontaneously generate health and fitness, but if that's not happening then you are wise to recognize it and take action.

You can also think of this as a stop-gap plan while you create the kind of balance in your life that doesn't require a gym. What would that life look like? (volunteering at local parks? taking dance classes? getting a dog? putting in a garden, building a barn?)

In the past I belonged to a weight-lifting, body building type of gym, and I just hated going in there. I gained a lot of muscle but I hated it.

I love doing yoga, and would have no qualms about paying $20 a month to do something I love that is also essential to my health!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Thread Information