Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fears

fears

What is your biggest fear? Mine is loneliness. I think it's crippling me somewhat.

Not having control over my choices. I make lots of bad choices, but I want them to be mine.

Losing my husband, children, brothers.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It changes frequently. Right now, the future for my me, my family, the world - not knowing what it is in store. We, as humans, have this belief that we can control everything and the longer I live the more I see how things do not play out as planned or hoped.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    We, as humans, have this belief that we can control everything
    That's our first mistake, and our biggest mistake.

I don't mean to be flip about it, pinkytoe, because I agree with you, but the longer I live, the more I know that my happiness and peace of mind will be determined by my ability to accept what I can't change.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

“What do you fear, lady?" he asked.

"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." — J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    Not having control over my choices. I make lots of bad choices, but I want them to be mine.
    I would agree with this especially as one gets on in years.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

My biggest fear is not being independent in my old age....and of course the one the is with me every day
    the loss of more of those I think of as my people.
    Last edited by danna; 11-25-14 at 8:32pm. Reason: Edit for bad spelling that is not something I am losing with age I never had it....lol

I try not to put any energy into fear, unless it's an intuitive warning that's protecting me. Remember that quote that said something like, "Most of what we worry about doesn't come true"? I used to be a real worrier, and I found that to be true. Right now my goal is to leave no stone unturned. If I take all of the opportunities that come my way, I won't have any regrets. I've been doing this with my career lately, and it's really energizing me. I love setting goals and taking steps to achieve those goals.

What an interesting and thought-provoking question margene. I've been sitting here thinking about it for a while.

Losing my health. Losing a close loved one. Classic, but I'm gonna try to get real.

So I'm not proud of my answer, but I think I fear of the loss of my lifestyle the most. We live simply and don't have a lot of money, but still we do pretty well. I can remember periods of our lives that we had to make do and do without to a much larger extent than we do now - and I really don't want to go back to those days.

Though I could, you know. Simple Living and all that.

Thread Information