Thread: Gardening, zone 7 and colder?

Gardening, zone 7 and colder?

I'm moving to where there is actual freezing temperature every winter and won't know where to begin with planting.
    I'll just observe and learn for a while, but in the meantime does anyone have any book or website recommendations?

I'm so used to my year-round lettuce and citrus trees - it will be fascinating to garden in a place with actual seasons!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

I would suggest finding the County Extension Office and get with the County Extension Horticulture Agent where you will be moving. I live in Kansas and I can get lots of free information through Kansas State University. So check the web site of the State University in the area for growing charts. The Extension Office have all kinds of information, including what variety of crops grow best in the area, as well as how to amend the soil (if necessary), soil testing, growing charts for when to plant and when to expect the harvest..... They have lots of handouts. When I had trouble growing potatoes, I found a pamphlet at the Extension Office that said what varieties work best for our area. I have since planted Yukon Gold potatoes because they mature faster than some varieties, before the weather gets too hot for them in the late spring, and now I have better luck growing that variety of potato.

Our True Value Hardware Store has a huge gardening center and is also another good resource. They have sent out growing charts for several years each spring and also carry varieties that grow best in our area.

I believe you'll be moving close to the Territorial Seed company. They're in Cottage Grove, OR. They have a fantastic catalog featuring seed for Pac NW hardiness and I think you can actually visit there.
    http://www.territorialseed.com/
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

yes, check your extension website. When we moved to MN from AZ I had a lot to learn, but found the adjustment fairly easy once I knew when the changes of seasons were. More difficult than that was trying to keep critters away from my veggies. The Sunset gardening book is still my favorite because of the very small changes in climate that they address in labeling each area; however, it doesn't have a lot of native plants in it. For that, a better resource is usually local native plant societies.

Gardenarian,
    I love growing citrus and lettuce, too. You'll have a lot more rain in Oregon! It's so green and lush there. I think the above suggestions are good. You can always ask your neighbors, too. I like to walk around the area and see what's growing well in other people's yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I'm moving to where there is actual freezing temperature every winter and won't know where to begin with planting.
    I'll just observe and learn for a while, but in the meantime does anyone have any book or website recommendations?

I'm so used to my year-round lettuce and citrus trees - it will be fascinating to garden in a place with actual seasons!
    I'm kind of borderline 6 and 7 on the East Coast, and you can do overwintering with some crops, like kale and some lettuces (I had mizuna from the garden for Thanksgiving yesterday, and I just went outside to pick kale for my mushroom soup.)

Good advice here.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information