Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's with all the Greek Yogurt and tons of protein??

What's with all the Greek Yogurt and tons of protein??

I had thought of putting this in the food forum, but I think it really belongs here too.
    Its so silly when some company puts out something new and every other company follows suit. Its just silly.
    Anyhow.......what's with all this Greek yogurt? 14 g of protein? Really? Like we really need more protein. I suppose if that's all you're eating in a day, that might be good, but 14 g of protein when we just want some good gut bacteria? Marketing is just so silly.

it's for the low-carbers and diabetics out there............

True Greek yogurt is really good... it's high fat, very thick and creamy. Awesome in small, small doses.

I tried some of the Ciobani.......or something like that and loved the texture. But they added all sorts of crap to obtain that texture. Plus, I don't need that much protein (since I eat alot of other stuff). I keep thinking I'll order some real kefir nuggets and grow my own product, but haven't done it yet.

I always buy Greek Yogurt. Have for a long time. Yummy... Plain whole-fat Greek Yogurt. Or eat it with a bit of honey or jam.... Delish!

Yea true Greek yogurt is probably more fat than protein, and that's what is tasty about it!

But speaking of advertising and yogurt. I saw several ads on t.v. one day that all basically had the same theme: "this yogurt is so healthy, good bacteria, blah blah, and I can't believe it can be healthy and also taste good" (yea well it also happened to be loaded with sugar). Then another commercial "this cereal is so healthy, so much fiber, blah blah, I can't believe it can be healthy and taste this good" (yea well it also happened to be loaded with sugar).

But never mind the loaded with sugar part because that really isn't the interesting part. The interesting part is the whole belief system being reflected/reinforced/imparted by these commercials. That something healthy can't taste good (unless it's highly altered junk like being sold in the commercials I guess). It is a LIE. Healthy natural well-prepared food can taste wonderfully good. And yet the people watching these commercials are being brainwashed with the idea, that healthy food doesn't taste good (the concept of brainwashing is a subtle one, those who actually know about healthy food - won't be so easily swayed as those who don't, but even those with a lot of background, when they are fed a lie again and again it will do some damage).

Now what does the FALSE BELIEF SYSTEM do to people's efforts to actually live a healthy lifestyle? It damages it tremendously! Ugh let the media poison your mind and you will poison your body.
    Trees don't grow on money

I was thinking about this today.....and all the false advertising out there. Its disgusting. Its like they're all scam artists.

I love that there are products like Greek yogurt. I put it atop a Morroccan dish last night and it was spectacular. I don't see a thing wrong with the product itself, because I'm not sedentary and scarfing down a tub a day. And it's not just for low-carbers -- during the running season I need an awful lot of protein AND carbs to keep me going, and I appreciate the availability of a wide variety of foods with healthy fat/protein/carbohydrates.

I DON'T love the way most products are advertised but then again I never have...and I spent 20 years in the advertising industry. It is all heavy on branded prepared foods, which as a nation (if we listen to the messages) keep us sick, lazy, and broke. But that's what the marketing machine is all about.

Yogurt. Yum.
    Food advertising. Just say no.

What's your favorite Greek yogurt product?

The one I have in the fridge now is my favorite -- Fage 2% plain. Minimal extra ingredients, 4g fat per serving (and I can't eat a whole serving at a sitting.....too much for me!) I don't like yogurt that has a lot of sweetener in it. One cup of this lasts me quite a while. I just put a dollop on a bowl of strawberries and drizzled a little honey over all, for example.

Just to be clear, I agree with you, CathyA -- it's definitely not for everybody, not something you'd want to include a lot of in your diet, regardless of what the commercials want you to think!! But as frugal as we are, these small treats like this and tiny amounts of really good chocolate, coffee, etc. make my day

Thread Information