Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm considering buying a "mobile" home

I'm considering buying a "mobile" home

I'm seriously considering buying a "manufactured house" in a resort community, a sweet little community on the river. I know about a dozen of the 65 or so people who live there full time and a couple dozen more who are there seasonally, and they are my kind of people. I would so enjoy living there!

That being said, I know it's not a "good investment" but then, neither is renting an apartment. My housing cost would actually be about $300/month less, for twice as much square footage, I'd have a yard for planting, and to share with my dogs, a carport for my new car (I've not had covered parking for 10 years), and no shared walls or floors/ceilings. A wonderful walking area along the river, a better quality of life, indoors and out, plus the community. Those are the pluses.

I guess the minuses are that I would have a landlease, not own the lot, and I realize that these homes depreciate quickly.

But for $46K, it seems to me that the pluses outweigh the minuses. I would spend 20% more to rent an apartment for the next 4 years and not have any of these pluses. But having said that, there is no one in my life, outside of the community, who thinks this is a good idea.

I'm not looking for anyone to talk me out of this, but are there things I haven't thought of?

Can you buy one used? That would save a lot - just like with cars.

It sounds delightful. You can do your investing elsewhere with the money you save. (Just make sure you're not in Tornado Alley or the equivalent.)

Well I can't see it as a bad idea unless the trailer park is dangerous with lots of crime or something (meth head trailer park or something, I don't know).
    Trees don't grow on money

I think it sounds wonderful. The price is right, too. Have you run the numbers? If the cost of living there is low, and you can afford it, I would go for it!

I think mobile homes (used ones!) are perfeclty fine place to buy in temperate climates.

Do some checking around, about the park management. Ask to see the lease they offer, in writing before you buy, so you can see how unfavorable it is to you. That is one of the big risks that you can lessen. In my opinion, Mobiles are best suited for housing on an acreage, where you own the land it sits on. Parks can be problematic in several ways, including dictatorial management. They are on the wane in general, due to zoning restrictions, land prices, etc., though still strong in the sunbelt. You don't want to have to vacate and dispose of your mobile , should the park owner eventually sell out to a developer. I know of several instances of that. Other than that, mobiles can be a good way to live, but also be sure it is "tied down"-- anchored in case you are in tornado-prone areas. Hope that helps you some.

I've been looking on he internet at mobile home parks in Florida. Yes, I am that old! And there are some really good deals. If I had limited income as a senior citizen I'd move to one of those over-55 places in Florida. But of course the main problem is lot fees. While the cost of the mobile home is very low, lot fees run, what, $350 - $600 per month for plain vanilla mobile home parks?

My MIL lived in one for 30 years & really liked it for all the reasons you mentioned. However, when she died the park would not let us rent it & in fact dictated who could live there for free as well. The lot rent was $450.00 in 2007 & frequently went up. We finally sold it for $5000.00 to someone the park approved. I think it also depends if it is new or used? If you are quoting the new price could you get a used one a lot cheaper? I would check into that. Also how much is the lot rent & how many increases have there been? What do people think of the park management? I think this can be a wonderful option for people to have more space & a yard as well as some privacy if it is the right price/place. Let us know what happens.

My Grandparents bought a mobile home when they were old enough that they didn't want a larger home to take care of. Where they, lived, in a town in PA, you, could buy a lot of land in town or anywhere else you would like, I believe in that county, and put your trailer on it. It worked out very well for them. They bought brand new. The only issue they ever had was they sometiimes had problems with the plumbing. It worked out great for them. My grandmother could clean the entire place on a Saturday morning. I have very fond memories of visiting them there and I lived there for a year with them. It had two bedrooms and one and a half baths. No dishwasher though back then. The dining room and . Living area was one decent sized room.

Thread Information