Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can we really chase our dreams?

Can we really chase our dreams? I sure hope so, that's what I've been doing since 2010 through steady focus.

I've been pursuing the dream of being a successful artist since then despite having no formal art education, 3 moves, language barrier and the desire/need to make completely new friends in Japan.
    Flexibility and Focus have been key for me. I make plans but I have to make contingency plans as well because life happens. A lot! Just as often as the hurdles are thrown up, an opportunity is thrown my way. That opportunity are only there because I have worked hard to make it happen.

True friends accept you as you are, as you become and will choose to be supportive. All others do not deserve the privilege of your time.
    Family is tougher, I live so far away from mine it isn't a concern, thankfully.

You have to follow your dreams as best as possible. It's one of those things that one will so painfully regret at the end of their life if they do not.

I have always had a fairly high need for security & I also always wanted to work for myself. So I spent 15 years with the state & so did my hubby. We then retired early on our small pensions & both of us are self-employed p.t. We did lose some friends over this. Some people were jealous. We also downsized into a smaller, older but now paid for home so we would not have a mortgage. Some people did not like that either although our home is really nice. We kept many of our friends, some dropped us & some we dropped. But we have also picked up new ones along the way. I personally could care less what other decisions people make in this area of their lives.

Real friends love you for who you are. In my book, anyone who would mistreat you or have issues because of the choices you make (as long as they are not illegal or immoral) is not a real friend. If my friends succeed at their goals and are living a life they love, why on earth would I be jealous of them -- I'd be pleased as punch! Who the hell has the right to judge the size or style of house I live in?

Surround yourself with people who care about you, not about what you own.
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Bravo lhamo!

TxZen
    I am loving all the responses!!!! Thank y'all so much.

I think this is all part of the major transformation in my life right now. It's the season I am in. It sometimes hurts a little to grow and out grow useless things, people, ideas, ways of life, etc.

Next question -do you just do and let people find out as you go or are you an announcer? I tend to keep things to myself until someone asks. I just move along and do my thing, I don't have to FB every little step or issue I might encounter, like so many people I know that do.

Another question? If you made these changes and are now living your dream, are you glad? What advice would you give that version of yourself that was hesitant, scared, worried? Thanks so much. I love "conversations" like these.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    question -do you just do and let people find out as you go or are you an announcer? I tend to keep things to myself until someone asks. I just move along and do my thing, I don't have to FB every little step or issue I might encounter, like so many people I know that do.
    I think since this seems to be the place for more introverts, unless your needing help or an opinion, etc. from someone else, I bet this group keeps it to themselves, as it wouldn't be any of their business.

I tend to talk about my dreams/plans with close friends. I guess some of them never thought I would do it. I never announce personal stuff on FB. I am really glad that I made the changes I did. I am so happy not to be tied to the 8-5 thing any longer.

I'm not an announcer, either. I don't go on Facebook. If I'm up for a show, I wait until after signing the contract to tell anyone I got it. I'm more of a private person. The advice I'd give to that person would be to trust your gut. I also believe in having a safety net. For me, that's an emergency fund and a back up plan. Especially now that I'm older, I don't take as many risks as I did in my twenties.

Love the responses! Once DH passed away, I had to give up my dream of the farm that was requiring more effort than one person could do but we had so enjoyed and I made the move to town. I dreamed about what I wanted in a house for the next 20 years and selected a small new home that would let that happen. It is unfolding slowly and very independently from anyone else. My dearest friends are very supportive and considering something similar. Follow what is important to your heart.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I think I'm a dream chaser for the most part - have definitely followed my passions for most of my life regardless of what was expected of me (often times because of what was expected of me - rebel against it all just for the heck of it :-)!). I take risks and sometimes I succeed, and sometimes not. But the "not succeeding" isn't a bad thing IMO, it just leaves more free time for the next passion I may want to follow. Like the poster above said, there are trade offs to following your passions and dreams, often times big trade offs depending on what it is you want to do in your life. If you're willing to make the trade offs if you can't find another way to live you dreams, then I think it can be done by most people.

Thread Information