Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dust If You Must

I pay 15 GPB per hour, 5 hours a week. She is an amazingly careful, thorough cleaner. She cleans for four of those hours and does one hour's ironing. The amount she gets through is truly phenomenal. It's worth every penny I pay.

I plan to include housekeeping in a future budget. I hear so many positive reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Hi there Lessisbest,

I think this poem addresses the pressure many women feel to always have their home clean - and to take on the housekeeping themselves whether they really want that job or not. It's not much fun to feel like you should always be cleaning; as we all know, housework is never done. If you're eating food and wearing clothes, then there are dishes and laundry.

I love a tidy home as much as anyone, but giving up our creativity and joy to it is bad deal.

And I think giving up sleep is an even worse trade. Unless you are very,very young, or constitutionally need little sleep , you endanger your health and well-being with continual sleep deprivation.

If housekeeping is what you love and how you express yourself, that's great - you've found your right livelihood.
    Gardenarian,

I understood the poem as you have stated and will stick to my original comment - we each have 24-hours in a day to do with what we want. Perhaps I'm just more literal than figurative.

I never mentioned giving up sleep... I get up early, which is different than giving up sleep, in order not to be disturbed for certain tasks, or take away from other obligations for the day. I go to bed between 8:30 or 9 p.m. I've always been an early riser - that was what you did on a farm in order to get your chores done before you caught the school bus. And then repeated them when you got home. And to this day that is a valuable lesson, I do my work first, then I can do as I like. Not the other way around.

I have no qualms with anyone who hires a maid service, that's their choice - it just never crossed my mind to ever do so. I typically wouldn't pay someone to do what I was capable of doing myself. It takes me 30-minutes to clean our home once a week, add 15-more when I steam the floors. The trick is, we don't dirty it to begin with. We tidy up after ourselves and do dishes after every meal.

Thread Information