Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leaving behind the sewing machine

rodeosweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by rodeosweetheart View Post
    Pretty! I have one of these, though not with quite so many accessories:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGER-FEATH...item418c667334

Two of mine are featherweights, both black with gold scrollwork. One pristine, one not so--its case needed a handle and latch and I found a suitcase repair shop that did a good job replacing them. One is a circa 1975 Bernina, a good solid workhorse. The not-pristine Featherweight and the Bernina have seen quite a bit of duty. The fourth one is a low-end Brother that needs a tension adjustment; that will serve as a trade-in or perhaps a thrift shop donation.

rodeosweetheart
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Two of mine are featherweights, both black with gold scrollwork. One pristine, one not so--its case needed a handle and latch and I found a suitcase repair shop that did a good job replacing them. One is a circa 1975 Bernina, a good solid workhorse. The not-pristine Featherweight and the Bernina have seen quite a bit of duty. The fourth one is a low-end Brother that needs a tension adjustment; that will serve as a trade-in or perhaps a thrift shop donation.
    Ooh, a Featherweight and a Bernina-- and the best Berninas are the old ones. Lucky you!!

My Featherweight looks like yours, Kimberly!

Oh, I'd feel very deprived without a working sewing machine! I love to sew, it just makes me happy. I mend, make curtains/drapes/place mats/napkins, used to make Halloween costumes when my daughter was a kid (then she took over for herself when she was 14!), have made my own clothes and will again soon, just bought fabric for a lightweight jacket for work. Friends all know I am happy to resew a seam here or take in something slightly ... yes, I must have my sewing machine, it ranks right in there with my camera and my MacBook, all useful, necessary and loved tools.

I have the Singer machine my DH bought me the first year we were married (1977). I used it when the kids were small for Halloween costumes and I also made curtains from time to time, but it sits in my closet collecting dust. I haven't used it in years, so if you're like me, you're safe leaving it behind.

I bought my DD a very cheap, entree model a few Christmasses ago, and it was pretty inexpensive, so if you have a critical need sometime down the road, you could always get a basic one.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Gardenarian - I went through the same conflicting emotions!

My 100+ year old Singer was passed down the family. It was cast iron and weighed a ton. Electric motor added on at one point. I had a lot of emotion related to it. I made my sister's wedding gown on it. Plus my nephew's baptism gown, my favorite clothes, my gorgeous bedspread and curtains, etc.

But I have been getting ready for a long distance move and taking a hard look at every item I own. "Is it worth the fee to ship? Do I love and adore it?"

I have come to realize I like hand sewing and I don't like machine sewing. There are local women who can make clothes for me when I furnish beautiful fabric. They sew better than I ever did and don't even need patterns. There will be similar tailors in my new city.

So I gave Singer to a woman who is one of the most active volunteers in this town. Straight stitch sewing is just what she needed.

I've been having fun designing clothes while I finish losing weight. A few more months should do it. I'll do the hand work, such as stitching pleats, smocking, trapunto, etc. If you google image Manipulated Fabric Techniques, you'll find some fabulous looks!

I've enjoyed reading your posts about settling into Ashland. A friend lives there and loves it.

Well I have not missed the sewing machine at all! In fact, I'm happier without it. I often felt guilty about not sewing more.

Today I had to reset the waistband in a pair of pants - it took about 30 minutes by hand and was quite fun.

I admire you all who really use your machines so creatively! The friend I passed my machine onto is really enjoying it, so this worked out great all around.

Profnot- I'm not into any fancy handwork, but it sounds like a great craft for those who have the talent

Thread Information