Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugly Christmas Sweater Fad

Ugly Christmas Sweater Fad

I assume it's a fad. Lately I've heard about parties and contests on this theme. Do people intentionally buy or make something really ugly just to wear it once? Just wondering. I posted in this forum b/c the media is where I heard about it.

You can find plenty of ugly Christmas sweaters at the thrift stores; I think that is where the whole trend started. Now someone decided to market the idea and sell pre-made ugly Christmas sweaters so when you find them in the thrift stores again it is second generation ugliness! What goes around, goes around and around, ad infinitum....

rodeosweetheart
    They are doing this at work. I think it is so dumb. I also saw really ugly sweaters for sale at the big box store I go to, right there in front. I also dislike the whole elf on shelf thing.

What is this elf on a shelf thing? This is the second forum I've read in the past two days where people have mentioned it and I'm naturally clueless!
    Rebecca

Saddle up my traveling shoes, I'm bound to walk away these blues.

rodeosweetheart
    I actually did not know until I looked it up online. They are also doing that at work. Supposedly it has something to do with this elf that you put on a shelf and you tell your kids it is watching them, that they need to be good for Santa? At least that is how they explained it in the blog post. Very creepy, and very in keeping with this constant electronic surveillance at work, so I guess it's sort of a seasonal Big Brother figure, or something.

ugly elf

Quote Originally Posted by rodeosweetheart View Post
    I actually did not know until I looked it up online. They are also doing that at work. Supposedly it has something to do with this elf that you put on a shelf and you tell your kids it is watching them, that they need to be good for Santa? At least that is how they explained it in the blog post. Very creepy, and very in keeping with this constant electronic surveillance at work, so I guess it's sort of a seasonal Big Brother figure, or something.
    The elf got started on Pinterest,its creepier than I don't know what...Theres tons of posts around Facebook about the Elfs demise,everything from dogs tearing it apart to GI JOE dolls waterboarding it,probably not PC but good for a chuckle.

Sounds kind of like the New Barney.
    Rebecca

Saddle up my traveling shoes, I'm bound to walk away these blues.

Way back in the 1960s, they had those elves. I think I got one as part of the decoration on a Christmas present. But none of this "elf on a shelf" business.

My mom didn't need an actual elf to keep us in line during December. She'd just glance out the window and say, "Oh-oh! I think I saw one of Santa's elves peeking in! You'd better start behaving!"

More as a way of getting us to stop fighting each other than anything reminiscent of electronic surveillance.

I know the so called ugly Christmss sweaters is a big deal but I still happen to like those sweaters and think they are festive.

The elf on the shelf is also supposed to show up in different places in the house. What a way to really instill fear in children instead of letting them enjoy the holiday season.....

Thread Information