Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: soy

soy

Lessisbest,

You posted that you consider soy as poison. Can you explain? It used to be that everyone was touting soy, but now I hear it should be avoided. Thanks.

I have a file folder that is about 2" thick with information I've collected over the last 25-years about soy - good and bad - but mostly bad. I'll suggest reading the book, "The Whole Soy Story" by Kaayla T. Daniel, PhD, CCN. This link has a presentation she gave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ij14ET-8Fg

Some women seem to be okay with soy - those who produce equol. This piece comes from http://www.drweil.com/…/…/Too-Many-P...t-Trouble.html.

"Why Soy for Hot Flashes Works for Some, Not All
    Adding whole soy foods to your diet may quell hot flashes, but it's only likely to help if you're one of those women whose bodies produce equol, a soy metabolite. A study published online on November 6, 2014 by the journal Menopause concludes that 20 to 50 percent of North American and European women produce equol. Seattle area researchers surveyed women in a local health care system to identify those who didn't use hormone replacement therapy and who also consumed soy foods at least three times a week. The women who agreed to participate in the study were asked to report on the number and severity of their hot flashes and night sweats. Urine tests showed that only 34 percent of the 357 women volunteers produced equol. Among those women, 76 percent who regularly consumed soy reported a less than average number of hot flashes and night sweats. The researchers noted that measuring equol is done only in research centers, but women can get a reliable indication of whether or not soy foods will help quench their hot flashes by adding them to their diets for four to six weeks. If there's no change, you can assume that soy won't be effective for you. The researchers noted that the positive effect of soy for women who do produce equol still has to be studied and confirmed in larger controlled, randomized studies."

Apparently, only 20-30% of Western adults produce S-equol, compared to the 50-60% of Asians for whom soy is a traditional food. This may help to explain the very different responses to soy for Westerners and Easterners. Gut bacteria are also involved. It's also important to note that Asians tend to eat fermented soy, while Westerners dislike the strong smell and taste, so they tend to go for bland unfermented versions. My husband, who eats the stinkiest cheeses and loves trying new cuisines, found that even he could not manage more than a single bite of fermented tofu!

For people who don't produce equol, soy may well be an unwise food choice. In my own experience, my permanent thyroid damage is almost certainly attributable to my heavy reliance on soy during my vegetarian and vegan phases. Like all other legumes, it also catalyzes severe migraines; I wish I'd known that 25 years ago!

We try to take a moderate approach to soy; after extensive research I decided that traditional soy foods such as tofu, miso, and soy sauce are acceptable to me, along with edamame, but we don't eat any of them frequently. Also, raising vegan teen boys there are times that more processed soy foods are eaten such as a Boca burger at at restaurant, but it is infrequent. We use almond milk instead of soy, and have found some veggie burgers that don't contain soy protein isolate, etc. I hate Daiya cheese, but it is soy free and my boys like to have it occasionally. Field Roast products are also devoid of soy, although they do contain gluten (no longer an issue for my family).

Most soy products such as soy milk or soy "meats" made with isolated soy protein cause me stomach issues, and I take that as a sign that my body doesn't tolerate soy well. Perhaps I don't produce S-equol. Even too much tofu can cause stomach pain, but I'm okay with soy sauce and miso. As for natto, well, I'm afraid to even try it, lol. I'm a super taster through and through.

Another issue with soy, for those who believe it's a problem, is that virtually all American soy is genetically modified. I don't have a decisive mind-set about GMOs but I can't help but think that they are neutral at best, and possibly not neutral at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    Another issue with soy, for those who believe it's a problem, is that virtually all American soy is genetically modified. I don't have a decisive mind-set about GMOs but I can't help but think that they are neutral at best, and possibly not neutral at all.
    I agree with you completely; I don't know if GMOs are safe or not based on hard science, but I am erring on the side of caution. I can buy organic tamari, miso, and tofu, but most of the products made with soy protein aren't organic and are likely GMO.

Miso and soy sauce are both fermented, so those are fine for those who tolerate soy well.

You want to hear something really interesting? I much prefer La Choy Soy Sauce over Kikkoman. Kikkoman has a funny taste, I think. Hope that helps you some.

In case you come over for dinner, will keep that in mind. I usually use GF tamari. Or fish sauce.

I have a friend who was a true example of "health" - fitness guru, healthy diet, all the "right" things - until she switched to soy milk and soy products. Within a few months she had symptoms of gall bladder problems. She went from doctor to doctor, had test after test, was suffering a lot of pain, but they all said her gall bladder was fine. My friend (who can't tolerate soy, and I'm sensitive to it) and I both suggested it was the increase in soy in her diet. After 18-months and a lot of pain, she finally convinced a doctor to remove her gall bladder, which ended up being a healthy gall bladder. The pain continued after the surgery. Finally my friend and I convinced her to remove soy from her diet for a month and the problems and pain went away. She never consumed traditional forms of soy, rather all the highly processed soy products which go through all kinds of chemical treatment.

I've shared her story on another message board and several other people reported the same thing about soy, so it wasn't an isolated incident.

Instead of soy sauce, I use Coconut Secret "Raw Coconut Aminos" which is soy free and has 65% less sodium than soy sauce (100% organic, gluten-free, dairy-free, GMO-free.

As far as GMOs go, I recently watched the documentary "GMO OMG" on Netflix (you can also watch it on YouTube) that was a pretty good look at the subject without completely freaking out.

Thread Information