Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recovery from Facebook

Recovery from Facebook

Well, I've spent an interesting year in Facebook. I am a fan of a trio of singers from Italy. I found a Facebook community that I guess could be defined as groupies to chum with. It's been a really interesting learning of social media for me, how it works, what it can do and the illusion it creates of community. And, how I fit into this community.

I am an introvert by nature and like my independence. Let's just say I found I had some issues with privacy, trying to mix and mingle with strangers, defining what is and isn't friendship, etc... All in all, it has it's value and it's good to understand how it all operates, but it's also wise to not become too involved. I see I took it all so seriously that I confused the on line friends with real friends. All in all, it's a bit of a popularity contest at times and the competitive nature of fans was most evident too often. Of course, there's just plain old nice folks everywhere. As a means of self expression, it has lots of potential and can be fun. But, as in anything too much is too much!

I am attempting to back away from it and gain some perspective. Let's say I am in Facebook Rehab
    Here is a link to my blog page http://francesannwy.wordpress.com/

I do not wish to "recover" from Facebook. If I become bored with it, I'll stop looking at it. But, I don't consider F-book to be a vice or avoiding it a form of hipness or virtue, as some people evidently might----it's just whatever you want to do. I enjoy keeping up with what a selected group of people that I consider particularly stoopud are doing. These are not my F'book friends, but people I know that I consider to be very stoopud, that have F'book accounts. I have found that their F-book content reavealed that they were even stoopudder than I had originally thought. How do you like that? I'm trying to identify and list some of the common characteristics of really stoopid people. If you'd like, I'll list a few of them, sometime. Hope that helps you some. Thankk Mee.

i use Facebook very specifically. i have relatives i would not hear from otherwise, i get updated on cute kid pics and fun stuff like that, i have friends that i don't talk to all the time but i want to kept in touch with. Honesty only one of those is really different politically so i don't have much conflict. then i keep in touch with my buddhist groups and teachers i follow plus promote them. i cross post talks and events for the nun i work with and the local groups and some of the national teachers with those groups. i have learned one thing, the buddhist teachers i listen to are odd ducks! it is a good thing. the others, ones who post daily even about good things, i turn off the feed and just check in on them sometimes

Same here Zoe Girl,it enables a glance into some extended family spread all over the country.

I keep up with family and friends through FB. There's all kinds of political comments made; some are on my side, some aren't. I am not offended by anything on FB. If I don't like something, I scroll on by.

I joined a community of fans as I say to a musical group. I am interacting with virtual strangers with a common interest. I find the group highly focused on the celebrity. While I enjoy the music and the celebrity, I became more curious about Italian culture and now can speak some Italian. Also I explored food, wine, books on life in Italy, and now I am learning about Opera. I expanded on the Italian so far I am taking a vacation in Sicily. The majority of fans stayed on topic and weren't all that interested in too much culture. I found the majority are also retired or not working outside the home and spend all day on line. Mostly they comment on the group positively. Very nice but no real conversation or reality checks.

I found I was tuning in all the time and gave up hours to keep up with the chatter. Why is it so like that? What is it that sucks you in?

Not a member... And have no intention of joining ... Despite the blandishments of relatives and friends!

I have a Facebook Friend who used to be on this board, when Dave had it. I have a Facebook Friend who was my 8th-grade English Comp & Social Studies Teacher. I have 4 Facebook friends who were in the 6th grade with me. Maybe they are a littlebittybit 'centric, but none of them classify as "stoopud", okay? But, I still like spying on the stoopud non-friends. How do you like that?

Ishbel, I've got a Facebook Friend that has photos of her and her sister, wearing Kilts when they were in their high school marching drum corps. Check it out. Let me know if they look authentic enough.

Thread Information