Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recovery from Facebook

I use(d) facebook primarily as a means to keep up with all the kids that were running through our place as my kids grew up. That still works, but most of them have moved on to other forms of communication to keep up with each other. The posts on my fb page are now weighted a little heavier on the side of people I grew up with. Not that I don't like to see what they're up to, but I really don't care that much...
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

My issue with it is that it became yet ANOTHER means of real-time communication. So do I have a cell call or a message on my voice mail or an email or a home phone call or a message on my answering machine or a text or a fax or someone knocking on the door or a letter in the mail or has someone contacted me on Facebook. I can enjoy perusing people's input, but being at everyone's beck and call on yet another form of media was the last straw. As an introvert - or maybe just a curmudgeon - having people in my face and my space includes having them there electronically "tapping their feet" waiting for my response.

Kib, I agree with what you are saying. Another expansion on our time and is it really adding to the quality of life, or just another distraction. Facebook does offer many ways to keep a low profile and participate in groups or pages people may enjoy. I mean you can be quite anonymous and control who sees the personal page and what is on it. I found that being in a part of a larger, extended group just steps into my privacy realm too far. Virtual friends, some of them, have a habit of looking over my friends list, commenting on how often I like or don't like other peoples posts, commenting on my page about what they don't like or other snarky comments. It's controlling at times. I think FB gives folks ways to go overboard on stalking. Like anything else, everybody has a wide range of boundaries and after getting used to the social network and interactions, I found I was uncomfortable with people wandering around my personal page as much as they were. People tended to share posts without asking. That habit I found too chummy.

Anyway, I am withdrawing and will maintain my page but retreat to a more positive place. It is somehow infectious if you let it be. I was a laggard to Facebook and only have been on it one year. So, I learned something new, it has a many positive values, but it's more important to try to socialize in my neighborhood if that is possible. One of the reasons it may be attractive is it's a distraction from issues that really matter in day to day life.
    Here is a link to my blog page http://francesannwy.wordpress.com/

Would you kids mind giving me the names you registered your F-Book accounts under? That way, I can stalk you. If you don't mind. Hope that helps you some. Thankk Mee.

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    Would you kids mind giving me the names you registered your F-Book accounts under? That way, I can stalk you. If you don't mind. Hope that helps you some. Thankk Mee.
    I'll give you mine if you'll first complete an application. Just send me your full name, home address, social security number and birth date and, once I've completed a background check, I'll get it in the mail to you.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I got to see new pictures of my grand-baby (I am birth grandma, my daughter is the birth mother) today because of FB. He is 2 1/2, already has a toy tardis. She picked well, in any case it was worth all the other posts

Cypress,

I never joined Facebook. I always had a bad feeling about it. (like it could do potential damage to my reputation.) I did have a page for my business, but I never used it. I just put up the basic info.

I agree with what you're saying. I'm a private person, and I don't want all of my friends' friends knowing my personal business.

I have a neighbor that just had a huge fight with another neighbor on Facebook. They can't stand each other now. It just feels too Junior High School to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'll give you mine if you'll first complete an application. Just send me your full name, home address, social security number and birth date and, once I've completed a background check, I'll get it in the mail to you.
    A good, professional-level Stalker like littlebittymee knows not to release any personal information--we only seek information about the Stalkee. That is my policy. Besides, I don't stalk anyone East of the Missssisssipppee, and since Cinnncinnnattteee is East of er--the big river, you are exempt. But, Awakenedsoul--you sound like you have things you don't want anyone to know. That, makes me very curious--so you may as well register for a F-Book Account, so I can stalk you.

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    A good, professional-level Stalker like littlebittymee knows not to release any personal information--we only seek information about the Stalkee. That is my policy. Besides, I don't stalk anyone East of the Missssisssipppee, and since Cinnncinnnattteee is East of er--the big river, you are exempt.
    Would it help if I told you that I grew up on your side of the Mississippi, but a bit east of Springfield, and lived for several years in Alaska, your old stomping grounds? Don't be a hater, send me that info so I don't have to find it myself.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Kib, I agree with what you are saying. Another expansion on our time and is it really adding to the quality of life, or just another distraction. Facebook does offer many ways to keep a low profile and participate in groups or pages people may enjoy. I mean you can be quite anonymous and control who sees the personal page and what is on it. I found that being in a part of a larger, extended group just steps into my privacy realm too far. Virtual friends, some of them, have a habit of looking over my friends list, commenting on how often I like or don't like other peoples posts, commenting on my page about what they don't like or other snarky comments. It's controlling at times. I think FB gives folks ways to go overboard on stalking. Like anything else, everybody has a wide range of boundaries and after getting used to the social network and interactions, I found I was uncomfortable with people wandering around my personal page as much as they were. People tended to share posts without asking. That habit I found too chummy.

Anyway, I am withdrawing and will maintain my page but retreat to a more positive place. It is somehow infectious if you let it be. I was a laggard to Facebook and only have been on it one year. So, I learned something new, it has a many positive values, but it's more important to try to socialize in my neighborhood if that is possible. One of the reasons it may be attractive is it's a distraction from issues that really matter in day to day life.
    The problem with the various facebook groups for shared interests is that the other members of the group have way too much access to you and info about you, at least in my opinion. I'm all for finding others with similar interests online (this board being a prime example for me). But as much as everyone here seems nice enough I have no intention of giving everyone here unfettered access to my facebook life. The only people who can see my facebook profile and posts and whatnot there are people who currently are, or at one time have been, in person friends of mine.

Thread Information