Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Two police officers fatally shot in Brooklyn NYC

Were the cops in any way even related to incidents of police violence? Whether one's feelings are justified at being angry or even protesting at the various incidents of police violence like Micheal Brown or Eric Garner, and taking it out on unrelated police officers are completely separate issues. By analogy, it's like after 9-11 there were incidents on vigilante justice on random Muslims, and even those who were merely mistaken for Muslims. But the clear injustice of that, by itself says what about whether people should or should not have been emotionally upset about 9-11?

Now one can say that strong rhetoric will further unhinge the already unhinged and that is no doubt true. And I'm not sure what to do about it, as there are plenty of unhinged people in this country. And people who are really upset, and even justly so, about an issue will not always carefully censor their language (I mean protestors and the like of course, politicians do things for their own reasons).

Things that push too far (too much police violence) will generate pushback, pushback will never be entirely contained even with the best intentions of protest leaders if they exist etc.. Since few in power actually believe in trying to actually address problems anymore and come up with mutually beneficial solutions, if they ever did, it escalates, rinse and repeat.
    Trees don't grow on money

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-brooklyn.html

On December 15, some of the protesters demonstrating in Manhattan against the failure of grand juries in Staten Island and Missouri to indict police officers in the deaths of Eric Garner and Michael Brown were videotaped chanting, “What do we want!? Dead Cops!” Thousands of others chanted, “How do you spell murder? NYPD!”

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post

On December 15, some of the protesters demonstrating in Manhattan against the failure of grand juries in Staten Island and Missouri to indict police officers in the deaths of Eric Garner and Michael Brown were videotaped chanting, “What do we want!? Dead Cops!” Thousands of others chanted, “How do you spell murder? NYPD!”
    Not exactly helping their cause if their goal is eliminating police brutality, is it? I maintain the best way to effect change is via civil lawsuits and not violence. Violence just begets more violence and can spiral and escalate into a nightmare very quickly, and I believe this situation, race relations and inequality in America/police brutality in America has that potential. Sad, very sad. The only way I know of in America to effect change in a situation like this is financial loss/fear of financial loss - it's the one thing Americans with power will hear and respond to above all else. Fifteen when I figured that one out - though I will agree that this doesn't work in all situations - just hot button ones like this that bring out strong emotions in people. I was 15 when I learned fear of loss of the dollar is stronger than emotions over hot button issues for most Americans. And it would be one way to reduce violence and also strike back in a way that causes fear, loss, and damage. I'm just not on the same page with violent behavior such as what happened today in Brooklyn. In my book, the court method is much more effective. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    No judgement here, ok? I'm just perplexed. Why do you call the mayor of NYC a communist? Am I missing something here? Rob
    You have to ask? He goes on and on about the income redistribution crap. Excuse me, but that's to take away the $$ I worked my arse off for to give it to someone who isn't busting their butt. Also supported the Sandinistas.

vhttp://www.motherjones.com/politics...facts-new-york

For the record, I call the Prez and Rahm Emanuel commies as well.

Then there's the nanny state crap. People need to be protected from everything. Nearly everything has to be decided for them. They can't be trusted to make most of their own decisions and they can't be held responsible for the decisions they do make.

As I've read somewhere and posted to my FB page: "The Democratic Party: taking the hurts out of stupid since 1965."

The left whines about the cops, yet when something really bad happens, they want the cops to protect them. Except you, Rob, you think the cops are crap stains on society, and aren't useful for anything.

Did you happen to notice that two minority officers were killed by this scumbag? A Latino and an Asian.

Rob, since you want to bankrupt a municipality so badly, I suggest you take a close look at Detroit.

Apathetic, you've got some really good points, there. But, the one thing that would do much to break the cycle is for the supposedly-too-liberal News Media to develop some ethics, show some restraint, and stop sensationalizing and spinning everything, focusing on certain types of incidents and pot-stirring and reporting "false narratives". Popular media has gotten really trashy and dumbed-down! They'd rather report alarmist news, and create the perception that abnormal is the new normal. I've even noticed that with my interest magazines. I don't advocate censorship; but at the same time, I believe this is not a new problem, and that censorship has been used in other societies not exclusively for the purpose of enabling authoritarian regimes(as media advocates would have you believe), but in order to keep the peace and avoid causing panics, too. As in: what they don't know won't hurt them. As in: see no evil, hear no evil; speak no evil.

Rob, since you want to bankrupt a municipality so badly, I suggest you take a close look at Detroit.
    It's not so much that I want to bankrupt a municipality - and I agree with your point about Detroit, it's a basket case and I believe most people would agree with this - it's much more that punitive financial loss is the only way I know of to get Americans with power afraid - and afraid is the way to get them to effect change. I'm someone who doesn't flinch at the dark side of situations so I can see this. Rob

You have to ask? He goes on and on about the income redistribution crap. Excuse me, but that's to take away the $$ I worked my arse off for to give it to someone who isn't busting their butt. Also supported the Sandinistas.

Then there's the nanny state crap. People need to be protected from everything. Nearly everything has to be decided for them. They can't be trusted to make most of their own decisions and they can't be held responsible for the decisions they do make.

As I've read somewhere and posted to my FB page: "The Democratic Party: taking the hurts out of stupid since 1965."

The left whines about the cops, yet when something really bad happens, they want the cops to protect them. Except you, Rob, you think the cops are crap stains on society, and aren't useful for anything.

Did you happen to notice that two minority officers were killed by this scumbag? A Latino and an Asian.
    Fair enough as to what you have posted about the NYC mayor and Chicago's mayor. I don't agree with you but fair enough. But I do see something positive here that America offers, seriously. There are places that you might feel more at home in such as most of Texas (avoid Austin though lol which is the one place that would work for me in Texas) and most of the deep South. Pretty much the NE in general - exceptions being Maine and Pennsylvania - is going to be more liberal (also New Hampshire is more Libertarian than liberal) - this kind of thinking works for me for the most part. I think we may find ourselves in areas not especially suited to us - Chicago tends to be liberal and Arizona tends to be conservative.....

At any rate, the good thing is we both can find others in this country to agree with us. Rob

PS For the record, I agree with you about the scumbag part. A real adult would strike back in court. Violence solves nothing and reduces people to the level of the police they have issues with in the first place. Stooping to this level does not help them with social media or gathering as much support as they otherwise could. And I certainly don't believe those officers murdered today should have been.....random violence is not going to solve jack squat. It's going to lead to escalation. What good does that do?

For the record, I don't believe that all cops are "crap stains on society" as you put it. Just the ones that engage in police brutality and the ones who abuse their power over people they interact with. Those ones need to lose their pensions instantly and also their jobs. The others do perform a necessary role in society and I can see this and agree with this. The problem is that there are too many of the former and not enough of the latter in neighborhoods that are rife with tension and social issues to begin with. In such areas, cops that are trigger happy really don't help their cause either, any more than the protesters in NYC chanting Death to the NYPD. The difference? The cop can kill you and get away with it. See the terrifying loss in the balance of power here? And unfortunately, there are some cops who live for this loss in the balance of power. Certainly not all but enough to where in my large neighborhood you would be hard pressed to find anyone with anything nice or even neutral to say about them. Seriously, at our last neighborhood meeting, one of the topics covered was how to deal with the police if they should ever ask you any question - pretty much say nothing other than "Am I free to go now?" This is what happens when the balance of power is abused by the police as it has been. Rob

Proof that words can literally hurt. Chant them long enough and some demented individual will take them literally. Sad to think there are people who espouse such hate and sad to see there are people who can stop it but fail to do so.

Thread Information