Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 What movies are you watching?

It has not been a good fortnight for movie going.

Dear White People: my dislike of this movie makes me uneasy, but I just didn't care for it. It made me think of Bonfire of the Vanities: each character was ego driven and blind, not to mention stereotypical to the point of blank and boring. I found it really difficult to admire, identify with or even like any of them, white or black.

Joe: So ... a young kid from the wrong side of town with a propensity for violence, with a violent alcoholic no-good father, takes for his mentor and role model ... another violent alcoholic with a slightly softer heart. Grim and dark.

The Pregnancy Project: a young woman decides to fake a teen pregnancy as a school project in order to catalog people's responses. Said responses are negative. Surprise. People get angry about the fact that their hearts and lives are turned upside down to process and deal with a pregnant ______ (friend, sister, son's girlfriend), and then it turns out to be a big lie. Also a big surprise. I have no idea why we watched this.

Fury: This was background noise, I wasn't specifically watching although all the shrieking and crying was hard to tune out. I've long since decided I never need to see another movie about the heartbreak / nobility of war. Ever. Just because mankind apparently can't grow up doesn't mean I have to watch this obscene practice. So. That said, I guess it was as good and sad and stirring as people find most war movies. Camraderie, deep bonding, lots of fancy guns and explosions, mental anguish, senseless gruesome death. yay.

I watched an hour of Dear White People and stopped after that. It was slightly amusing, but it tried too hard. The young people in it were beautiful.

edited to say that the characters were not engaging, but I did like the girl who had the radio show.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 2-22-15 at 11:29am.

Do Not see "Jupiter Ascending." Stupidest movie ever made.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Well, the one thing I loved about Birdman was the presentation of credits. That was cool.The rest, not so much. I'm surprised, because I thought going into Birdman I would love it.

So Boyhood is my pick for best picture at the Oscars.

Of the films I've seen nominated for Oscar best, here are my choices in order:

Boyhood
    Imitation Game
    Grand Budapest Hotel
    Whiplash
    Birdman

Just finished watching The Drop with Tom Hardy and James Gandolfini. Couldn't take my eyes off of Hardy. Amazing performance.

Last night we watched "Breach". It was based on the true story of the spy Robert Hanssen, with Chris Cooper. It was very good.

Tonight we watched "Whiplash". I was totally prepared to really like it, since it has gotten so many great reviews............But I hated it! I'm not sure what the message was. Without giving anything away, I just want to say that things didn't happen in the movie that I had hoped would happen. And.....I think this takes top prize for the most constant foul language of any other movie I've ever seen. I couldn't even appreciate J.K. Simmons's oscar award. I don't think it takes that much talent for being a total sh*thead. (I could have played that part easily!)

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Tonight we watched "Whiplash". I was totally prepared to really like it, since it has gotten so many great reviews............But I hated it! I'm not sure what the message was. Without giving anything away, I just want to say that things didn't happen in the movie that I had hoped would happen. And.....I think this takes top prize for the most constant foul language of any other movie I've ever seen. I couldn't even appreciate J.K. Simmons's oscar award. I don't think it takes that much talent for being a total sh*thead. (I could have played that part easily!)
    Cathy, me too about Whiplash. I though I would really enjoy it but it was one note. Still, I liked JK Simmons in it a lot, along with the young man.

We watched Boyhood tonight. I was TOTALLY BORED!! I have no clue why this got such rave reviews. I was totally expecting to like it.......
    What a bore! I usually like those slice-of-life, slow paced movies, but this one was painful to sit through. They could have made it in 1 hr, instead of 2 hrs 44 minutes.
    Nope......didn't like it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    We watched Boyhood tonight. I was TOTALLY BORED!! I have no clue why this got such rave reviews. I was totally expecting to like it.......
    What a bore! I usually like those slice-of-life, slow paced movies, but this one was painful to sit through. They could have made it in 1 hr, instead of 2 hrs 44 minutes.
    Nope......didn't like it at all.
    Boyhood is a funny one--meaning: there were strong mixed reactions to it. I loved it. It was my favorite of the Oscar films. But it seems to be interesting to those who were engaged by the children, and to some extent, their parents. If you (the generic you) saw it as just a family story, then it was a bore.

If you didn't really fall for the child actors, then it was just a Hollywood film. One of the commentors on my film discussion board said that this film wouldn't be at all engaging if Linklater had used a serious of child actors to represent the boy and girl it would have been completely unremarkable. But I loved that little boy, he was so beautiful and innocent as a 6 year old. And then to watch him go through childhood and adolescence, the same kid, changing as children really do--that was compelling. It was real.

And his parents--they grew up, too. The father really grew up, and the mom changed, too, but she didn't have as much growing up to do as did their father.

The ending was perfect, loved it. We, saw him launched him into the world and we saw him living the first day of the rest of his life.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-15-15 at 10:26am.

Thread Information