Thread: Documents - would you get rid of these?

Documents - would you get rid of these?

Purging file cabinets today and once again staring at things I can't seem to let go of I guess because they represent my life history:
    Wills and estate paperwork - father, mother, brother. Over twenty years old now.
    Lawsuit paperwork (settled by insurance) - 1995
    Mortgage paperwork for house sold 15 years ago.
    It is interesting to see estate amounts at the end of parents lives but maybe I should resepct their memories and let it go.
    This is hard...accepting our temporal lives.

Wills are always of interest in genealogy research. I would keep them, or a digital version of them, for your daughter.

I've got a copy of a will from the 1780's from an ancient relative. It's interesting to see what he had and how he divided it up among his many children.

I don't keep any of the items you mentioned.

From bottom up: mortgage paperwork: why? Throw it out. Why would it even be interesting later, let alone useful?
    lawsuit paperwork from 1995: ditto.
    wills and estate paperwork: if an actual will, maybe, for the historical value. Otherwise, why?

Or, you could scan everything into a computer file and then forget that it's there. Kind of a win-win thing.

(myself, I would throw all of it away. But I'm a thrower.)

I would keep none. Mom kept every receipt since 1956 all organized perfectly. About the only one that I kept was the Singer sewing machine receipt, in the case. I keep nothing, she kept everything. Shows how differently each of us are.

i actually wondered the purpose of most, but understand there were no computers.

OK, I will let the mortgage and lawsuit stuff go and condense the will docs into one folder...until next year. I am not really a saver so can't explain why I hang on to certain things. Funny though, we had some interesting conversation at the Christmas dinner table over the cost of having a baby as I had just looked at our bill from DD's birth 32 years ago.

rodeosweetheart
    Yeah, we found my husband's grandfather's IRS bill--written out by hand, for 12 dollars. I am going to frame that one!

I'm a paperwork packrat. I still have years and years of paystubs because I find it fun to see how much I made in 1975. I've kept cancelled checks as kind of a historical timeline of the family, to cards and letters from family and friends, to old calendars and day-timers. I also have the original mortgage papers from the first house we bought in 1980. I have no clue why I persist in keeping it--it was actually a painful memory because I lost the house in foreclosure.

So, don't ask me! I'd scan it before I tossed it, and I'd consider just holding on to the hard copy of the will.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

rodeosweetheart
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm a paperwork packrat. I still have years and years of paystubs because I find it fun to see how much I made in 1975. I've kept cancelled checks as kind of a historical timeline of the family, to cards and letters from family and friends, to old calendars and day-timers. I also have the original mortgage papers from the first house we bought in 1980. I have no clue why I persist in keeping it--it was actually a painful memory because I lost the house in foreclosure.

So, don't ask me! I'd scan it before I tossed it, and I'd consider just holding on to the hard copy of the will.
    I just thought of something--do we need to keep mortgage papers so that at the end of the road, we qualify for that exemption you get from gains on the house?

Any tax or legal folks know for sure you can pitch the mortgages? Do you have to keep a closing sheet?

Thread Information