Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Affordable Pet Transport Overseas?

Affordable Pet Transport Overseas?

I have friends who are contemplating a move to England, and things were going well until they hit a surprising snag: the cost of transporting their dogs. These two weigh in at I'm guessing 40 and 60 pounds. The quote my friend got for the cost of air transport including crates, paperwork and a liaison at the receiving end (insurance that everything goes to the letter and the dogs don't get sent back) was in excess of $5,000. Really, they could get their dogs two seats in first class for that price. Ah, excuse me, do you have any Grey Poup-bags?

Does anyone have experience or ideas in how to seriously decrease this cost? She is at her wits end, thinking of taking a second job to pay for this, which seems crazy.

Air freight is expensive in any case. Add the additional issues with transporting animals, and I'm not surprised at the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    I have friends who are contemplating a move to England, and things were going well until they hit a surprising snag: the cost of transporting their dogs. These two weigh in at I'm guessing 40 and 60 pounds. The quote my friend got for the cost of air transport including crates, paperwork and a liaison at the receiving end (insurance that everything goes to the letter and the dogs don't get sent back) was in excess of $5,000. Really, they could get their dogs two seats in first class for that price. Ah, excuse me, do you have any Grey Poup-bags?

Does anyone have experience or ideas in how to seriously decrease this cost? She is at her wits end, thinking of taking a second job to pay for this, which seems crazy.
    One of our rescue bulldogs flew to Ireland a couple of years ago when his owner was transferred. It was the hottest week of the year. Many airplanes won't fly brachycephalic dogs at all any more let alone fly them in 100 degree F weather. This dog flew, if I remember correctly, on a Dutch airline from Chicago that ferries flowers back and forth. He was in aircooled spaces at all times.

I'll see if I can get more info on this.

Dutch? Probably KLM.

rodeosweetheart
    I thought if you took your dogs to the British Isles you had to quarantine them for 6 months because they do not have rabies there. Maybe that is why it is so high?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    One of our rescue bulldogs flew to Ireland a couple of years ago when his owner was transferred. It was the hottest week of the year. Many airplanes won't fly brachycephalic dogs at all any more let alone fly them in 100 degree F weather. This dog flew, if I remember correctly, on a Dutch airline from Chicago that ferries flowers back and forth. He was in aircooled spaces at all times.

I'll see if I can get more info on this.
    Thanks. You painted such a nice visual picture there, I had this image of a bulldog sitting with goggles on, ears flapping, in front of a fan, surrounded by acreages of lilies.

Yes definitely check quarantines because it varies by country.

When I worked in Europe, a few of the dancers flew their dogs from NYC to Vienna, Austria. From there it was easier to travel by train through Europe. We had coach buses, too. It couldn't have been that expensive, because we were only earning about $600.00 per week, plus per diem. This was 24 years ago...

I would keep researching. Austria is a good place to land. It's very cold there right now, though. Summer is gorgeous!

That sounds like they are planning to ship the dogs separately from when they are planning to go.
    She should be able to just roll up to the counter with pets in proper carriers and paperwork as if they are just your extra luggage.
    I don't recall a fee to do that anywhere near $5K you mentioned.

Maybe it is the 6 mos of quarantine fees?

It cost me $89 to bring my cat over to Japan. There should be an official website with all procedures, shots, and paperwork she will need to bring her pets to England.

This from www.gov.uk

When you enter or return to the UK from another EU or non-EU listed country your pet needs to meet the entry requirements. These include:

You must also use an approved transport company and an approved route unless you’re travelling between the UK and the Republic of Ireland (all other rules still apply).

I think it's the last bit that is making the cost insane.

Thread Information