Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Affordable Pet Transport Overseas?

Have a look ay www.uk-yankees.com

A number of the Americans moving to the UK have successfully transported their pets here.

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    Have a look ay www.uk-yankees.com

A number of the Americans moving to the UK have successfully transported their pets here.
    Thanks for the link Ishbel will check it out. I've been looking for a way to take my pet (small dog) overseas for a year or 2 and it does seem like quarantine is no longer an issue - especially if coming thru the UK as I would be. Getting a Pet Passport seems to be the easiest way to move around the EU too. Not sure how practical it is to actually travel in Europe with a dog long term, but I think if I rented places for a few months at a time in different areas it might be doable without to much hassle. Has anyone ever done that? Surprised that the actual cost to get your pet there is so expensive though. That would be too prohibitive of a cost ($5000 one way) for me to do it. Maybe a cruise ship or cargo ship that allowed passengers would be better if they allow the dog up on deck or in your stateroom with you.

Spartana, I haven't, but some of the dancers I worked with on the European tour of "42nd Street" did. It's so different there. You can take your dog with you into the cafes and restaurants. They're very dog friendly.

You'd just have to find apt. rentals that allow dogs. I'm sure there are many. I rented one in Berlin that did. My roommate had a dog. They even let her bring it to the theater at night! (In the dressing room.)

Quote Originally Posted by rodeosweetheart View Post
    I thought if you took your dogs to the British Isles you had to quarantine them for 6 months because they do not have rabies there. Maybe that is why it is so high?
    One of the reasons we passed up a job in Bermuda 20 years ago was because of a year quarantine that our Golden Retriever would have had to endure - he had separation anxiety issues and I was afraid all that time apart would of done him in. Bermuda has since done away with the quarantine and just requires a permit.
    Last edited by Float On; 1-14-15 at 5:05pm.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

WE looked into taking our small dog to Poland with us 5 years ago but quarantine was an issue & many countries in Europe were doing that back then. WE wanted to travel for a few months & take her. Instead we went for 2 weeks & left her home.

I did talk to my friend. She recommends Lufthansa airlines, and says to call their cargo department directly.

She few a dog from Spain for $1,600. It's going to be expensive, no matter what the deal. Inoculations within a specific time period is a requirement.

I'm glad the hysterical regulations in other countries against rabies have been relaxed. That said, I do actually know someone who had the full blown disease, rabies, here in St. Louis, in the suburbs. My friend's father saw a young cat, picked her up, and the cat went ballistic and bit him in several places. The cat was rabid. He was hospitalized and it was serious of course, but he lived and was fine after that ordeal.

Does anyone else know someone who had rabies?
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-14-15 at 3:15pm.

rodeosweetheart
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I did talk to my friend. She recommends Lufthansa airlines, and says to call their cargo department directly.

She few a dog from Spain for $1,600. It's going to be expensive, no matter what the deal. Inoculations within a specific time period is a requirement.

I'm glad the hysterical regulations in other countries against rabies have been relaxed. That said, I do actually know someone who had the full blown disease, rabies, here in St. Louis, in the suburbs. My friend's father saw a young cat, picked her up, and the cat went ballistic and bit him in several places. The cat was rabid. He was hospitalized and it was serious of course, but he lived and was fine after that ordeal.

Does anyone else know someone who had rabies?
    Yes, I had a friend who was English by birth, adopted Swiss citizenship, and her son had rabies by playing with farm kittens-- 14 days of shots in the stomach, I think. That was in Switzerland.

I remember having a rabid dog come through our neighborhood one summer in Virginia; my dad got his shotgun and went out and shot it, all the children were rounded up first and kept inside--sort of like a Western.

Thread Information