Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Purge 2015 January Declutter or 100 Items

Purge 2015 January Declutter or 100 Items

Are you ready to take on the challenge again? We've had some really inspiring posts in 2014 and lets try again for 2015. The goal is to bring less in and get rid of what you don't need or want. Don't feel like you have to get rid of 100 items, your goal may be something different every month like purging your file cabinet or cleaning out your garage. Whatever your goals please feel free to post here.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

TxZen
    I will play along. I am pretty bare minimum right now but I can always try.

Simpler at Fifty
    I am in. We are having a rummage sale in May. I have a couple bags and boxes started. One of my goals is to get DH to pair down on the Tshirts. Some are getting holes under the arms but he wears them in the winter under his sweatshirts. He has about 45 I think. He can no longer wear pants without an elastic waist and has 10 pair of expensive jeans from the big and tall store to sell. I started pairing down the towels this week. I am doing a whole house cleaning over the next 16 weeks and will keep a running total as I go.

This week the living room and dining room are getting cleaned. We are having the carpets professionally cleaned tomorrow. Magazines will be donated and the Christmas village will be taken down.

I'm in, but way ahead. Hubby and I spent the morning purging. We went through the 3" notebook that holds owners' manuals for things we've purchased over the years and pulled out what is no longer in use. We put one small vacuum in the donation box, threw one out (kept the battery pack for recycling). No more rechargeable (cordless) vacuums! I went through the collection of notes-to-self I accumulate on my desk and they were processed or went into the recycling box along with Christmas cards/letters. Put together a large donation of food for the Food Bank. Put 15 other items in the donation box. Our resolve is strong to declutter and downsize. We WILL get rid of 10 things each day......

I have been having one big purgeathon the past two weeks so I have already tossed or recycled at least 100 things-mostly files, dead pens, and other office stuff. Since the weather is so cold and gloomy today on NY Day we are deep cleaning and cooking. Just now, I emptied out the pantry cabinet of oils and vinegars to cull old ones. DH is in the food business and brings home samples constantly which is fun but we rarely end up using much of the stuff as it is too exotic - strawberry balsamic vinegar, truffle infused olive oil, etc. I think I finally have the old man on board about retiring someday soon as he seems very motivated to clean and get rid of things.

1-40. Son #1 went through books (boxed to take to used book store what they don't take will go to thrift shop)
    41-43. 3 ornaments we rec'd in exchange games and have no interest in keeping
    44-46. Son #2 shirts
    47. coloring kit (rec'd again in an exchange game)
    48. playing cards (I don't need 3 sets)
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

TxZen
    Items 1-10- clothing items
    11-15- shoes and jewelry

Going back in...

I'm in, too. There are books and paper files to be sorted, and some boxes of other stuff taking up space. I sorted some papers today, and was impressed by the amount we no longer needed. We don't own a paper shredder, so use the wood stove to dispose of papers with personal information, and the rest goes to the regular paper recycling bin.

I'm in!! Already today, via Freecycle, an upholstered chair and a shelf system have left my place!! Wooo-hooo! I put them on Freecycle yesterday, thinking hopefully someone would get them on the weekend, but they came Today! AND my friend who wants another shelf/cabinet just called- her husband was bored and already started clearing their garage, and now he's on his way over to get the big shelf (6x6ft) !! Wow, what an inspiration for me- 3 Large Things gone in just a couple of hours!!

3- large pieces of furniture
    2- pairs of worn out shoes that were under the chair- trash
    2- pairs of slippers that don't fit- started a bag for Goodwill

subtotal:7

I did about 50% of my annual file purge today. I've gathered a small pile of books to donate to the library. I brought 4 bags/boxes to SA a couple of weeks ago, and I have another box nearly filled.
    Silvio was acting up recently and knocked over a couple of glass ornamental items and broke them, so he's on board and inspired me to get rid of a few more! Mike as well take advantage of the situation.
    I'm definitely ready to let go of some books, and I plan to look at everything with a critical eye as I go through my weekly housework.
    Oh - and I got rid of some socks last week!

Thread Information