Thread: Seed Catalogues Arriving Already

Seed Catalogues Arriving Already

This is the first year several of them arrived this early... but with the wind-chill factor at -24 C. here, dreaming of gardens makes a great antidote for winter here in the north.

To the other gardeners here, where do you get your seeds? Does anyone else here save their own seeds?

I save my own (open-pollinated) seeds for beans, peas, herbs, and fall garlic; trade seeds locally for some varieties, and order the rest, mostly from Richters.com (herbs), from Saltspring Seeds in B.C. (heirloom vegetables), and Hawthorn Farms in Ontario (great selection of organic vegetable seed). We have a relatively short growing season, so some crops can't produce viable seed here.

Simplemind: hee hee hee.

wren: we've only ordered from a seed catalog maybe one time in the last 5 years - but this must be the year of seed catalogs! We've received no less than 7 since the day before New Year's. DH is devouring them - even though there will probably be no orders. He's dreaming. (we do most if not all of our gardening from local-nursery bedding plants.)

aaagh, at least it keeps the Postal Service going. And I am in favor of that.

I tried saving cucumber seeds but haven't planted them yet.

I order from Johnny's Selected Seed. Just got their catalogue last week! So much fun.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information