Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Challenge: do one nice thing a day

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

Challenge: do one nice thing a day

In spirituality I posted my wonderful experience in Thailand. A Buddist country, they center their lives around respect, giving to the poor through offerings to the monks, and doing good.

i thought I would start a thread to challenge everyone to stop and think what they could do that day, in this moment to do good for others. What thing can you do today that is a kind or selfless act?

it is not a contest, just a place to inspire, give ideas and share our experiences so we can all grow.

I like the idea. I'll give it a try.

What a great idea for a thread.
    I'm interested,also. Giving kindness usually inspires more kindness in the recipients, so it goes on further.

One idea I've been doing regularly is giving positive feedback to the 'people behind the scenes', on blogs and websites (especially the ad-free ones) where the writers obviously care more about sharing their work and knowledge than about the commercial aspect. I tell them how much I appreciate their work, and how much it has taught or inspired me. Most times, a beautiful response comes back! Recently, I visited the website of a well-known author, and the first thing I noticed was how visually stunning the site is. So I found the name of the site designer, and wrote to her, instead of to the famous author. The site designer replied (from Scotland!) and told me that my letter had made her day.

Another idea I found is to bring a batch of homemade cookies for the volunteers at the Habitat re-Store when we go the city where it's located, about once a month. A treat for those who are giving their time.

I will think about what other things I could do.

I know a few people that have become disabled so I take them to doc appt, out for lunch, run errands, etc.

This advent season we found online The 25 days of Random Acts of Kindness. Each day was different and a nice way to spend the holiday season!

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    One thing I started doing was to go out of my way to say thank you. Not just a mumbled thanks to the grocery cashier for instance but to take a second to make eye contact and clearly and sincerely say thank you to people. It sounds small but people really respond to this.

I like this too. I definitely will join this challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    One thing I started doing was to go out of my way to say thank you. Not just a mumbled thanks to the grocery cashier for instance but to take a second to make eye contact and clearly and sincerely say thank you to people. It sounds small but people really respond to this.
    This inspired me to do something similar.

Dh and I needed new footwear, winter socks and jeans recently, and usually go to the local Mark's Work Wearhouse, which has the most helpful staff in town, even though they probably only get minimum wage. On the back of the receipts, the company has a customer survey, which I seldom bother with. I've decided to offer the feedback from now on, to acknowledge the staff people. I thank them in person at the time, but hope a formal acknowledgement will carry more weight with the company.

When I did the first survey, I requested someone from the head office to contact me, because the survey did not allow adequate space to explain about the five staff people who were so helpful during our three trips to the store. A lady phoned me, and we talked for over 20 minutes. I told her we were there during a big sale, and there were only either 2 or 3 staff on duty in a store full of customers looking for sizes, picking up orders, etc. I told her how professional they were, knowing the products thoroughly, recommending other options, and staying cheerful despite the pressure from being understaffed. Customers were also walking out in frustration at the long waits. I told her about each of the five people, and why I thought they were an asset to the company, and how the great staff is a big reason we shop there. They actually seem to care if we find what we are looking for.

The lady who phoned thanked me for bothering to contact the company, and said they will forward the info to the local store. I think people mostly just contact them when they have a beef, (that was my impression, and it's been my own attitude in the past). I hope it makes a difference for the workers at the store; maybe the understaffing will change, too.

There is a wonderful practice called Naikan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naikan that invites a person to ask 3 daily questions:
    What have I given? What have I received? What trouble have I caused? I like to journal these 3 questions in the evening.

Today for me:
    I have given good long listening to a lonely young man. I gave business to a locally owned vegetarian restaurant whose values I appreciate. I bundled up a little New Year's package with a note to a friend who lives in a new town where she knows no one.
    I have received the gift of a leisurely day to myself: a long soak in the tub, a healthy yummy breakfast, a phone chat with a dear friend, time to read . . .
    Trouble I have caused: My use of electricity, natural gas, gasoline . . . all harm the planet, mother earth.

I really like the idea of this thread that flowers everywhere launched . . . sharing (not the same as bragging!) one kind thing as a way to inspire ourselves and others . .

I enjoyed my morning cup of coffee by writing old fashioned Valentine's Day cards to several friends who are single and won't get cards from sweeties/spouses. They are all lovable people and I want them to know that. V Day can be so depressing when you're alone! No flowers, no chocolates, no tender kisses . . .

Thread Information