Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hipster-ism?

What I believe is, it is a reaction to societal change, and the new American Service economy. . The main factor being the disappearance of good(but not great)paying productive jobs in urban areas. Those kids figure it isn't worth it to try too hard, anyway. They can't all be Superman. The heck with going into debt to try and obtain a Masters Degree,(or Doctorate), so you can then try to get a job you hate, anyway. Or, alternatively, without a professional degree, slave away at one low-paying full-time job and one or two part-time jobs, just so you can be "normal" and have a new house, a new car, a new baby, and go to church on Sunday. Be All-American Middle Class, right? Then, because of other undesirable aspects of "social change" end up losing it in a divorce or Layoff. They figure it's a crapshoot. In any event, they are underemployed. I guess that in some ways they are the contemporary equivalent of the "beatnick" or "hippie"-rejecting middle-class materialism and "success". So, as an alternative, they become fashionably poor. The major difference between them and SL-ers is that Hipsters aren't much concerned about long-term security. The one thing that I notice most about hipsters, is their stereotypical hipster bike. I can understand why they ride them, and why they build them the way they do--simple & cheap. What they are typically is a garage-sale 70's or 80's upscale-quality touring bike(10-12 or 18 speed), that has been stripped of its' derailleurs, sometimes the the brakes; and the drop-bars replaced with straight handlebars. Sometimes, if they are ambitious, they change the rear hub to one that does not freewheel. That way, they can brake through the crankset. Then, top it off with an aerosol-can paint job, rims and all, in their favorite combination of Fluorescent colors. This makes it distinctive, and easier to identify if it is stolen. Still, itt really pains me when they do this to a Vintage Trek Road Bike. Ouch. Sob. Hipsters live in old, old houses that have been converted to cheap apartments, within biking distance of older, gentrified, artsy-fartsy business districts and nightclubs. Also, in close proximity to Thrift Shops. That way, they can work evening hours as a janitor or a dishwasher at a trendy bistro, or tend bar, maybe even be in a band at a club, to earn rent money and buy weed and other essentials. That's pretty much my perception of them. Hope that helps you some. Thankk Mee.

Drink Micro Brew Beer. Fancy overly priced coffee.
    Oh and the bike thing. I too don't get it. I listened to son babble about the perfect hipster bike. I was like what wrong with you dependable Trek? It was more about the style, the avocado green, bought off Craigslist for way to much money.
    I don't like labels and assumed most younger folks were getting away from labels, yet here we go again with a label.

yeah, ctg492: labels. labels and beards. hipsters, to my mind, = labels and beards.

Sillies.

I just love this commercial that is poking fun of Hipsters

http://www.marketmenot.com/smirnoff-...ni-commercial/

The pretentious Hipster Bartender that is serving the Yuppie Couple said he went to school for 7 years in Stockholm. Prolly meant Grades 1-7, waaaay up dere in Stockholm, WisKonsin. How do you like that?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnlaurel View Post
    I just love this commercial that is poking fun of Hipsters

http://www.marketmenot.com/smirnoff-...ni-commercial/
    Ha Ha - too funny!

I have no idea what an actual hipster is but that commercial comes pretty close to my vision of one. All he needs are the big glasses and maybe a knitted beanie cap. Oh and the single gear bicycle - which I'm sure he has behind the bar. I do like hipster foodie trends though - if only to make fun of.

Thread Information