Thread: How to get rid of

How to get rid of

Maybe this thread could be a theme. Ok here's my question: what would people do with old cleaning products. Oddly like maybe half the things I end up getting rid of I never even bought these. Thrift shop? Trash? (don't say that! Just filling up the landfills ... )
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Maybe this thread could be a theme. Ok here's my question: what would people do with old cleaning products. Oddly like maybe half the things I end up getting rid of I never even bought these. Thrift shop? Trash? (don't say that! Just filling up the landfills ... )
    The city where I live has a Household Hazardous Waste Facility where you can take "toxic" items for recycling or disposal. They blend leftover paint, so you can get free cans of paint. Cleaning products, yard and garden products, car care, paint, used motor oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, gasoline, etc., are sorted and either set aside for someone who can use them, or disposed of properly. This is also where we take batteries (of all kinds) and florescent bulbs.

The city also provides a list of places where you can recycle other things, or get services like Freon removal from appliances. They list all the thrift stores and what they accept, scrap metal businesses, tires, yard waste, chemicals/solvents/cleaners..... The local "mission" is also included because they will take men's clothing, toiletries, kitchen items for the people who stay there.

There are also

Our transfer station has a corner where you can set stuff like that, anyone is welcome to take something if they need it or after awhile the transfer station properly disposes it. The recycle center has Hazardous Waste days twice a year or they have a list of where those items can be taken.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I agree with less and float… check with your township/city and find out what do to with them. Our township has the same type of system--you drop off all hazardous stuff on certain days.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We have the same kind of hazardous-waste collection here, except that I don't believe I've ever seen "take-it-if-you-want-it" areas at the satellite collection sites (maybe at the central site). They'll take any cleaning product and recycle what they can (unfrozen paint, etc.).

There also is a Web site run by the company with the recycling contract that offers a list of just about anything every made and how to recycle it (even if it's not through them). Generally running the phrase how to recycle <item> through your favorite Web search engine will tell you what your options are.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

i use mine up and recycle the containers.

Homeless shelters are often in need of cleaning products.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Old cleaning products would seem to be in the category of something you might well use in the future. So why not keep them?

Throw away in the trash.

Thread Information