Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange, talking about death.............

Some friends in FL called the other day, Bob always starts a call with "hello from God's waiting room!"
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I am in my mid fifties now and think about it quite a lot. I think out of fear for when it really happens. Although our plans are to live a good, long life....

At age 60 I know what everyone means. We had some decision making when we choose our pension options. We know we want for end of life decisions but have not actually bought a cremation plot, etc. I had a weird thought this year when we each had to get a car-we don't drive a lot so thought I wonder if these will be our last cars. Although, my mom kept saying that & she died just short of 90. A good friend of mine is having a life/death struggle with cancer & my bf daughter died at 19 so life can be short.

I have been in a few of these conversations and too many times, the person is saying IF they die, instead of when. Facing mortality is a fact PERIOD. People do not feel wonderful about life each day, IMHO, proves that we don't comprehend that reality.
    I grew up around the funeral business, dealt with a friend dying of Leukemia in elementary school, was told as a kid that certain parties could be danerous to me, and have lost people all along the way (both older and younger then myself). Had a former coworker die last year, that in one workdays time, he was rushed to the hospital and told he was going in for emergency surgery, with at best a 50/50 chance of living (rare operation that out of five that year, three died). Things change quick and not on "our timetable". (edit, he made it through the surgery, and lived around 2 years longer)

When you start getting bummed about it, look both backwards and forewards. I want you to remember relatives as far back as you knew (grandparents/great grandparents) and then think back if you could meet their priors. Then look forward and wonder about your grandkids, grandkids. Get some perspective on the passage of time WAY beyond our lifetimes and start to realize how small of a fear death really is, and the stuff that fear could keep us from imparting, that should be important.
    Just my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by Valley View Post
    I'm 65 and I was just diagnosed with ALS last month. My husband is 71 and not in great health. We always thought that he would die before me and made our plans accordingly. But as they say...and we found out...life is a crapshoot at best!
    Valley, I just wanted to acknowledge your post. It must have been tough to hear this diagnosis. Very true that we never know what life holds in store. All the best to you.

Yes Valley.........we're hoping the very best for you!

Yes Valley, I saw what you wrote in you post. It must be a very trying time for you. I will send prayers....

Thank you very much...it is a very overwhelming time for me and my husband. My faith is strong, so I'm not afraid of death itself...but I am anxious about the process of dying from ALS. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers!

rodeosweetheart
    Hi Valley, sending lots of healing thoughts your way, along with a book suggestion--this book is FABULOUS--I read it when I was recovering from lasting effects of a serious illness, and it was amazing what is contained there in--lots of different stories, and I found so much in there-

http://www.amazon.com/Remarkable-Rec...sin=B00JTHZX7U

I sent my copy to my sister-in law who was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. She is doing great 5 years later and she loved the book, too, so take a look at review and see what you think/

Anyway, please know I am thinking about you and I care!

It is difficult to face your own mortality. I'll be 68 in a couple of weeks and have three very good friends facing serious medical conditions. And, a group of us are planning our 50th high school reunion and are finding out how many of us have died. And, time is going by faster than ever.

Thread Information