Thread: Indian fry bread, anyone?

Indian fry bread, anyone?

One of the two new recipes I tried this week was Indian tacos: taco condiments served atop a fried puffed bread. As served at all state fairs and street fair occasions.

OMG, they were incredible. And did I mention easy? Using only flour, baking powder, salt and milk, I had them whipped into shape in 10 minutes and was successful on my first try ever making them. DH is still tonight talking about them. To the point where this will be a meal definitely going into our regular rotation.

(my other new try was chicken paprikas w/spaetzle. I suck at making spaetzle, but chicken paprikas was the bomb! To me, anyway, DH just said yeah, this is pretty good, so I don't suppose that one will be a regular around our table. too bad, I loved the sauce.)

Anyone else tried Indian Fry Bread?

Or for that matter, is anyone trying new recipes? Share your successes and your duds, would you?

Oh love Fry Bread...such good stuff. I've helped make them for large groups in SD for tacos and always get some in NM with honey, more of a dessert.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

It's also called Squaw Bread around here. I was in charge of the opening of a new museum exhibit where we served traditional American Indian foods, and it was a tough one to find finger foods and an appropriate beverage.

Hi Blackdog Lin,

I remember having a dessert version of Indian Fry bread in Santa Fe, NM. I enjoyed it. I've never made it myself, though. I baked a meatloaf the other day. I've been making sandwiches with it on homemade french bread. I slather on some ketchup and pack them up for lunches. Yum! Tonite I plan to make fried chicken. I haven't made it in ages, and I think my boyfriend will like it. It will be good cold for lunches, too.

I just baked a batch of snickerdoodle cookies. I saved most of the dough in the fridge. I like to keep homemade cookies as fresh as possible, so I just bake a dozen at a time.

Meyer lemons are abundant right now, so I'm using them for lemonade, lemon bars, and to flavor chicken and rice dishes.

awakenedsoul: off-topic, but.....I think that the best, premium, most-excellent and all-time favorite sandwich of all time must be.....leftover meatloaf with ketchup.

I don't make meatloaf very often, but when I do it's not 'cause I want meatloaf, it's 'cause I want leftover meatloaf sandwiches. With nothing but ketchup on them.

(Are you from the Midwest originally? Meatloaf-n-ketchup sandwiches just doesn't seem like a SoCal thing.)

Hi Blackdog Lin,

I agree. There's something about homemade french bread that really makes the sandwiches delicious, too. I bake mine in a Le Creuset loaf pan, which gives it a perfect shape to hold the slices of meatloaf. The ketchup keeps them moist and tasty.

I was born in LA, and raised in both Seattle, WA and San Mateo, CA. I think all of my friends' mothers growing up made their own version of meatloaf. Mine has onions, garlic, homemade bread crumbs soaked in milk, parmesan cheese, an egg, and salt and pepper.

We've got all kinds of people in Southern California. My dad used to refer to it as "the land of fruits and nuts"...(meaning the people.) My mom was a terrific cook and I love country cooking. Today I'm making fried chicken. It will go well with rice, salad, and homemade bread.

Thread Information