Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Despite what we see on the news: We're all safer

I live in the UK.

some of those statistics just amaze me.

To bring balance to packy's description of old fogey' age 55 and up -

My husband is 55. He walks 10-12 miles 5 days a week outdoors year round even in the Phoenix heat. It's part of his job.

I ride my bike many miles a week. I work about 3 shifts a week that are 12-13 hours long, walking about half of the shift. I clocked myself at about 3-4 miles a shift. However I'm lucky that it's indoors in the AC. I'm 53.

So much for slowing down physically in our 50s.

Edited to add that we don't go to church. Ever.

Tammy, thank you for your input on this subject. It is good that you do not fit the stereotype, and 10-12 miles a day is a lot and 3-4 miles is, too. It is impressive. But, I stand by my stereotype of "typical" 50-s up people, in this area. A very large % of them do 'zackly as I previously described.

Any demographic can be spoken of nehatively. I find it tiresome at best and discriminatory at worst. Also unnecessary and rarely relevant to the conversation.

Yes, I find negativity very tiresome and discriminatory, as well. It is very unnecessary to the conversation, as well as irrelevant. Especially any demographic. How do you like that? Anyway, those old fogeys that sit around, eating all day and watching TV sports should follow your example, and walk 10 miles a day, minimum. Well, shouldn't they? I am just sitting here, wondering what kind of shoes do you kids buy, that last through that kind of mileage, anyway? Which reminds me, we had a gal from Phoenix working at the shop, who had grown up in Callyfornya, lived in AZ & Co, then moved here with her 3 kids and lived with her parents. She was a trip, because she had a chip on her shoulder & all these idealistic PC ideas, that were truly at odds with her reality. Kind of like a rebellious teen, at 40 years old. Also, I used to know a 44-year old gal, also from Phoenix, same syndrome. Plus, yet another one from Nowhereville, someplace in AZ, who was a right-wing libber Fanatic. Un-be-lievable--Better believe it. But, that convention sure didn't work in their favor. . It seems like too much "attitude" is part of the culture, there, and that they desperately needed "deprogramming", before they even came here. See? I wish they all would just remain in Az, and torment each other. Not trying to be negative, not trying to stereotype. Maybe a littlebittybit judgemental, though. Hope that helps you some. Thankk Mee.
    Last edited by Packy; 1-22-15 at 3:46am.

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    Most people over 50 though, are into the "old fogey" lifestyle.
    I'm 52. I'm a firefighter/rescue worker. I'm rated for interior firefighting, exterior firefighting, HAZMAT, vehicle extrication, technical rope rescue, medical first response, urban search/rescue, wilderness search/rescue, wildland firefighting, am on the heavy rescue team and the fireground rapid intervention team (we go in to rescue downed firefighters, and don't have the protection of fire hoses...), am on the infectious disease response team (nasty biohazard suits) and by next month should have my wilderness medical responder card. I can pass all the mandatory CPAT tests middle-of-the-pack while slacking, pass the medical tests, and am one of the physically strongest guys on the team. I work out at least 2 hours a day to stay in shape.

My frequent partner is 65. He can run me into the ground. Mind you, he was the PE coach at the local high school until he retired recently, and runs marathons at altitude and other obnoxious things.

It is possible to block people from my feed so I just don't see their posts? The virtual version of walking away from a conversation ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    It is possible to block people from my feed so I just don't see their posts? The virtual version of walking away from a conversation ...
    Alan or someone who knows the technology behind these forums should be able to answer that, but geez, if you're talking about Packy, I don't take him that seriously, and I don't think he takes himself that seriously either. If it's offensive to hear him say that the majority of middle-aged people where he lives are not active and act like old fogies, so what? That's his perspective. He's not insulting you, or bae, or me. I didn't feel insulted anyway.

I'm not going to be an apologist for Packy--he can do that for himself, but I just chuckle at his posts whether or not I agree with him. I'm always surprised at how much he seems to exasperate some of us here. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    If you want to block Packy any forum member's messages, do this:

At the top of screen find: Forum --> Community--> Member list

Then, find Packy's the member's record

On left side of screen is this option:

"Add to Ignore list"

Highlight that and follow prompts

rodeosweetheart
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    If you want to block Packy any forum member's messages, do this:

At the top of screen find: Forum --> Community--> Member list

Then, find Packy's the member's record

On left side of screen is this option:

"Add to Ignore list"

Highlight that and follow prompts
    I have done that, Tammy, and the only thing that is weird is that if you are logged in, you cannot see the blocked person's posts, but if you are not logged in, they do appear, so just to give you that caveat about the effectiveness of the blocking system.

Sometimes I block people for what seems particularly hateful speech towards a particular group, often women.

Some posts have made me feel violated. Certain posters make me question the wisdom of participating in this forum at all, as the posts seem almost psychotic. So yes, I can see why you would want to block posts!
    Last edited by rodeosweetheart; 1-22-15 at 11:14am. Reason: hatespeech against women, is what I tried to say

Thread Information