Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Despite what we see on the news: We're all safer

Quote Originally Posted by rodeosweetheart View Post
    I have done that, Tammy, and the only thing that is weird is that if you are logged in, you cannot see the blocked person's posts, but if you are not logged in, they do appear, so just to give you that caveat about the effectiveness of the blocking system.
    It's actually very effective if you consider that blocking is dependent upon the settings for a particular user. If you could block other users, including guests, from seeing a particular person's posts, we'd have real problems as one user could effectively ban another.The one real caveat to the system is a user's inability to block Moderators and Administrators.

Sometimes I block people for what seems particularly hateful speech towards a particular group, often women.
    Some posts have made me feel violated.

Last edited by rodeosweetheart; 1-22-15 at 11:14am. Reason: hatespeech against women, is what I tried to say
    Really? I can't recall any discussions meeting that criteria, although I don't read every post. Did you report those posts?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Stop bullying littlebittymee! Stopp harassing Mee! Stopp abusing Mee! Stop Violating Mee! Stop the Hate Speech about Mee! Stop ignoring Mee! I just wanna discuss littlebittytiny houses in a gated Callyfornya commune, with flowers growing everywhere, where life is beautiful, all the time! Seriously though: I think it is great that individual users can block out certain, selected participants, so that they can't see what they are posting. That said, I sure won't do that--I want to know what 'zackly you kids believe in, so I can be utterly astonished. Hope that helps you some. But, Tammy never did answer my quession about what kind of shoes they wear, to rack up that kind of mileage. She just went on the offensive. But, I guess that's those stereotypical Az's-With-Attitude, for you. Thankk Mee.
    Last edited by Packy; 1-22-15 at 11:24pm.

Regular consumption of cable news, in particular, definitely gives you a distorted view of how dangerous the world is. I stopped watching a long time ago, although from time to time I catch a bit of it and am reminded how awful Fox, CNN etc. are. They have to be in a lather about something or other 24 hours a day, which inevitably leads to sensationalism and absurd over-coverage of disasters.

The world is getting safer for most people, at least in the developed world. The biggest threat to most people's safety in the long term isn't terrorism or street crime, it's global warming (which I'm told gets little coverage on cable news, though I'm not sure since as I say I don't watch it).

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    Regular consumption of cable news, in particular, definitely gives you a distorted view of how dangerous the world is. I stopped watching a long time ago, although from time to time I catch a bit of it and am reminded how awful Fox, CNN etc. are. They have to be in a lather about something or other 24 hours a day, which inevitably leads to sensationalism and absurd over-coverage of disasters. ...
    Exactly. I was mystified at the paranoia here about "unassimilated" immigrants until a couple of days ago when CNN did a piece on the mayor of Paris threatening to sue Fox for one of its spurious stories on police "no-go" zones there. They showed a series of Fox clips with various newsreaders emphasizing "unassimilated immigrants" over and over again--like it's some kind of real problem. Mystery solved.

Cable news is really good at stirring the Pot. I know an elderly gent who has Fox on all day long, and he really buys into it. Nothing else matters. Places of business in this town--will have it on, out in the lobby. I don't mind seeing a littlebittybit of Faux News, myself. But, the key is to cross-check every story they present that you feel strongly about, with multiple sources. Online editorials and news stories can be very good for arguing the "cons" of a position you might see on Faux. That approach is very helpful, to mee, but most people probably don't go to the trouble.

In some places believing there is crime might be guilty of believing your own lying eyes. It doesn't mean it's getting worse though. One major way I've found out about some things, is going to a search engine and investigating what all the cop commotion I hear going on, was about today.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by rodeosweetheart View Post
    Sometimes I block people for what seems particularly hateful speech towards a particular group, often women.

Some posts have made me feel violated. Certain posters make me question the wisdom of participating in this forum at all, as the posts seem almost psychotic. So yes, I can see why you would want to block posts!
    Well said, rodeosweetheart.

Tammy, I block out those posts, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    Food.... more Food.
    I was watching the animated movie Over The Hedge with my daughter last night and this scene from the movie reminded me of Packy's post...
    http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...to-eat/5we7mmx

And then that put me in the mind of George Carlin because of the delivery, so I Googled,
    George Carlin Food
    I'd post the links but I might break some forum language bylaws... but it was some good insightful very funny stuff!

Regarding OP, I have been thinking about it all week - thanks for posting it Catherine.
    I have gotten to live in several of the states listed out west.
    To live a lot of places that are off the beaten path you either have to have been born there and your family lived there for generations which I think promotes buy-in to societal norms or you have to really want to be there and appreciate a rural lifestyle which seems to attract laidback self-reliant people without all the "wanna-be I've got more stuff than you, let me rub it in your face crowd".... that's the best I could come up with after thinking about it for a while.

I have to admit I was surprised to see Kentucky, I have an extended relative that works in healthcare there and she says the state is eaten up with meth & pill addiction... which I think makes for a lot of wild cards. All of that is anecdotal, not necessarily data supported (as with most of my worldview )

Causes of crime are incredibly complex . . . this is a good overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statist...inal_behaviour

I am grateful for living in a relatively safe neighborhood. It helps that I'm on a dead-end street with lots of retired folks at home. Thieves don't like to get observed in-the-act and then get backed into a corner with no escape route, I guess!

Thread Information