Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Large, Fairly New Home To Be Razed....

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I agree with Packy, but when I brought this up to my SO last night it quickly became clear that SO agreed with tearing it down and didn't want to particularly hear a different viewpoint. Superstition is quite common in the US (when was the last time you took an elevator to the 13th floor?) so I suppose I'm not surprised.

just this morning. I work on the thirteenth floor of a building. Definitely an unfounded superstition not to have 13th floors. Nothing bad has ever happened there. Except, you know, having to go to work every day.

I'm not sure you can compare a private home, like the one mentioned, with a public space like the World Trade center. It's nice to think that a family could move it, make new memories there and make people forget that it was the focal spot of some tragedy, but in practical terms, I think there will always be people who want to come visit and see. Maybe they're mourning, maybe they're just curious. And the attention can continue long after the tragedy. Lizzie Borden's house was made into a themed B and B. I can't imagine how disruptive it would be to the family who moves in. With a large public site, like the WTC, it's just that- public. It's not disruptive because people come and go all day long anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    on a side note, Stephen King was in a horrible accident. He was walking and a drunk driver hit him and twisted his entire body into a pretzel. After it all Stephen King made sure he got the car from the accident and parked it where it would not be accessible on his property i believe (or destroyed it) so that it would not attract anyone to collect any parts of it. Figure this is the guy who wrote Christine after all! it is valid however to consider what people will do and how that affects others. My daughter works at the movie theater in Aurora, they screen new applicants to make sure no one is there for the creepy factor, but that seems to have passed some time ago. the media is very low key on the shooter here.
    Yeah, not only did King buy and destroy his car, the guy who hit him died suddenly about a year later--he was in his early 40's. That's what happens when you mess with someone who has "supernatural" connections< Just kidding, okay? I happened to think about the 10-story building in Manhattan, NYC., that housed the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory on its' 3 upper floors. A fire broke out in 1911, and 146 garment workers perished--many jumped to the sidewalk below, and bodies were piled up. After the tragedy, the building was restored, and is now occupied by New York University, and is used to house research labs and offices. There's a plaque on the building, but life goes on, there. See? They don't need to tear down a building, just because.....

Thread Information