Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death with Dignity

Death with Dignity

It was just announced that our state will be introducing a death with dignity legislation giving one the right to end their own life under certain conditions and probably modeled after Oregon. I am not near having to make those sorts of choices right now, but have thought when and if the day comes, how that would reconcile with any spiritual beliefs. If I have my facts straight, I think the common Christian thought is that this is the same as suicide and not acceptable as Christian behavior. And what I recall of the eastern religions is that what ever suffering we may encounter at the end of life is part of our karma and if we short cut it in this life we will need to account for it in future incarnations. Even though this is in the political arena it boils down to a moral or spiritual issue and probably has some parallels with abortion and the right to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    It was just announced that our state will be introducing a death with dignity legislation giving one the right to end their own life under certain conditions and probably modeled after Oregon. I am not near having to make those sorts of choices right now, but have thought when and if the day comes, how that would reconcile with any spiritual beliefs. If I have my facts straight, I think the common Christian thought is that this is the same as suicide and not acceptable as Christian behavior. And what I recall of the eastern religions is that what ever suffering we may encounter at the end of life is part of our karma and if we short cut it in this life we will need to account for it in future incarnations. Even though this is in the political arena it boils down to a moral or spiritual issue and probably has some parallels with abortion and the right to choose.
    fortunately, I am not religious. So, I can do what I like!

But I generally think mother nature knows what she is doing and in exception of cases of extreme and prolonged suffering it's best to let nature take it's course.

One practical outcome of some suffering at the end of death is relief and looking forward to death. End of life is natural.

I agree with IL--this is a legal issue, not a spiritual one. Just because it's a law now doesn't mean you should reconsider your own beliefs.

I also agree with IL on letting nature take its course.. I certainly don't believe in taking extreme measures to stay alive, so if pulling plugs or refusing surgery is going to hasten what would naturally happen, I'm all for it. I would not do what Brittany Maynard did (I don't think so, but I've never been in that situation).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm glad to live in Oregon where, if the situation presents itself, I will be able to decide when I'm ready to go. While that path might not be for everyone, having the choice available to those who chose that path is important (to me).

Isn't this more of an assisted suicide legislation?
    The reason I ask, is AFAIK, typically suicide is legal, but attempting and failing is illegal.
    If this is an assisted version, this allows people like Dr.'s to offer drugs to ease the pain in the process of people who are terminal, typically (go at their own pace).

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Isn't this more of an assisted suicide legislation?
    The reason I ask, is AFAIK, typically suicide is legal, but attempting and failing is illegal.
    If this is an assisted version, this allows people like Dr.'s to offer drugs to ease the pain in the process of people who are terminal, typically (go at their own pace).
    I think ending one's life with the assistance of a physician is the basic premise of the legislation. One of the arguments against the legislation is that hospice care already offers a death with dignity solution. The hole in the argument is that hospice care is only available to people who have a terminal disease and are expected to die within a six month time period, as verified by three physicians. There are people who are in chronic severe pain or have other conditions that are not necessarily terminal but have removed all quality of life. And end of life directives have similar requirements.

Some of the examples used in the write ups include people who have basically committed suicide by starvation, a long and painful process that could be made less traumatic. So that is indeed legal, but may not be an option for someone who is physically disabled or have access to a more gentle process.

I oppose the State in essence issuing suicide permits for the same reason in oppose capital punishment. You can't fix mistakes.

LDAHL, it's interesting to me that you would have this view.

Why do you think it is the state's business at all?

this is a decision I would like to be able to make for myself.........or a family member if I am not able. I watched my son-in-law's mother battle a brain tumor for almost 3 years.
    Most of which she would have been better off not being here. Same for her family. It was a terrible situation for all of them. I do consider myself a Christain and realize that some of my church family would consider this a sin. Death with dignity, don't we all deserve it?

I would move to Belgium or Switzerland if necessary, so I think the State would help more if it gave more freedom to the individual. Why is this a state or federal law anyway? A friend and I were just talking about this the other day. NPR or BBC just did an article about Belgium. Interesting.

Why do so many want to interfere with my life decisions?

Thread Information