Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Like" buttons??

My vote would be a 2 on scale of 1 = it's a horrible idea and 5 = magnificent, 2 being "I don't really want it but it's not important to me one way or the other". I don't really understand the purpose and it seems unnecessarily competitive to me.

I don't see it as competitive--I see it as wren does: almost the opposite: to show support and appreciation without having to craft a reply. I never write posts hoping to get a lot of "likes" and I don't think a like button would change that.

If I'm using your scale, I'm a 3.5.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Hmm. Ok. I'll give it a 2.5 then, I just read your comments to mtnlaurel and "got it" a bit more.

I could go for "heartily concur" and "diametrically oppose" buttons.

It is amazing to me how a Like button would be requested when the site already has an option that people are failing to use (and it is common to the software on this and MANY other forums). It is the RATE THIS THREAD option (look at post 11, find the post number and look up). I am strongly against a like button, without at least having a dislike option, yet I can do that with the rate this thread.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rNgCnY1lPg

I certainly don't want to be connected to Friendface!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    It is amazing to me how a Like button would be requested when the site already has an option that people are failing to use (and it is common to the software on this and MANY other forums). It is the RATE THIS THREAD option (look at post 11, find the post number and look up). I am strongly against a like button, without at least having a dislike option, yet I can do that with the rate this thread.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rNgCnY1lPg

I certainly don't want to be connected to Friendface!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
    If you see how similar like buttons are used in many other places, such as following comments on any online article, for instance, there is never a "dislike" button. Also, rating the thread isn't the same as liking the specific post. But I get it, no one thinks it's a good idea.

Go back in your bottle, Forum Genie Alan!

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I do think a Like button makes it easier to be lazy and not actually contribute to the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I do think a Like button makes it easier to be lazy and not actually contribute to the conversation.
    In my experience, like buttons actually encourage involvement, but that's just my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    If you see how similar like buttons are used in many other places, such as following comments on any online article, for instance, there is never a "dislike" button. Also, rating the thread isn't the same as liking the specific post. But I get it, no one thinks it's a good idea.

Go back in your bottle, Forum Genie Alan!

If you have blocking software on your system, and FB is among the blocked stuff, you don't see those buttons, since they are connected to/part of FB. (not separate entities)
    http://www.slate.com/articles/techno..._allow_it.html

If you have blocking software on your system, and FB is among the blocked stuff, you don't see those buttons, since they are connected to/part of FB.
    Again, I'm not talking about Facebook. I'm talking about a feature built into discussion forum software. Some discussion forums have it, some don't. The "like" buttons for those forums are NOT connected to FB. They simply give you an opportunity to click on a like button to show your agreement or support for a specific post in a thread. In human interactions it would be the same as a head nod.

Really! Let's just forget it. It was just an idea.

Thread Information