Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what you learn from sewing

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    it is a lot like woodworking/construction, measure 2-3 times, spend a LOT of time working with the pattern and a little time cutting and sewing.
    And of course more time is spent at the ironing board than the sewing machine!

I learned a lot of technical things with sewing. But the most important thing that I learned: patience.

The main thing I learned from sewing is that Thrift store clothes are an amazingly good deal. Occasionally, I'll think making my own clothes is a frugal thing to do, but I never get very far. I did make a fleece vest for my wife one year for Christmas. It turned out well, but I grossly underestimated how long it would take me - underestimating time and cost is one of my preeminent skills - and I ended up being up most of Christmas Eve sewing. (I don't know exactly, but I probably thought the whole job would take me an hour or two. How long should it take to cut some fabric out and sew it together?)

I'm mostly with Pcooley. By the time I'm finished with the process, I never want to see the finished product again. I can probably buy three or four items for what a good piece of fabric costs. And then there's the time involved. I can see where that would be worth it if you needed a very specific garment.

I'm more forgiving of craft work, like quilting, where no fitting is necessary. If I ever decide to venture into making clothing again, I'll invest in a good dress form--or maybe a dressmaker.

I used to sew a lot - in my teens and twenties. I finally learned to step back and put the project down when I was getting tired and cranky and things weren't going right.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I was looking through some older jeans I had in storage and found a pair that had a rip on the cuff from getting too close to some barbed wire. Rather than patch it, I converted the jeans to pedal pushers, including the slit on the side. I needed pedal pushers more than another pair of jeans, so it was a sewing win.

I agree with JaneV2.0. When the cost of fabric, the pattern, spool of thread, zipper/buttons etc., was far more expensive than buying good quality ready-made clothing from thrift stores, that's when I quit sewing my own clothing (in the early 1990's).

I have done some sewing and quilting. It is expensive, but I find it very challenging since I almost taught myself. I have yet to learn how to successfully put in sleeves, zippers and buttons yet. I hope to find an excellent teacher who would come to my home. For some reason I feel I would retain the information better if it is done in my sewing space...

I learned that I am not a good "pattern picker outer". What looks good in the pattern book does not necessarily look good on me. Stopped clothes sewing for the most part 30 years ago.

Stopped sewing quilts when I realized that it was a BIG waste of money and time. Put a lot of time and effort into several gifts only to have them never used. Decided I personally don't like quilts on my bed. I did however recently sew a bedspread from some drapery fabric I really liked. It turned out well.

Thrift store clothes are the greatest secret out there.

DH is easy to fit in shorts, and I just got him 4 pairs of NICE shorts at $3 each pair, all of a heavy cotton fabric and solid construction. He wears a 34" waist, and I told him if he'd gain a little weight, he'd have more shorts since 36" are more common.

Sewing for clothing nver worked for me. As a teenager I sewed but was never careful about seams, and ironing, and etc.In other words: sloppy construction. But I could put in a zipper like an SOB! Buttonholes-completely beyond me.

I have enjoyed sewing pillows and curtains for our house, and occasional bed spreads.

i have had many times that i ended up not wanting to wear something i sewed, as i get better at it however i like the stuff more and more. i finally just made myself wear these pants and notice how they fit and then wear some of the store clothes and realized they don't fit so perfectly either. the ones i sewed i have been able to go back and make adjustments for a better fit. the one thing i don't think i will wear at all is a pink skirt, i had such a great idea for it and at least it was super cheap and simple to make. i may make it a lining of another skirt.

i agree with slowing down. At first i wanted to power through a project in a weekend. that is definitely possible but sometimes is too stressful. So i slowed down and the pants i am doing right not are taking awhile. i started on spring clothes early. i am at a buttonhole step and i want to be not overtired or frustrated when i start it. when i get tired of it i remember the reasons why i sew, for a better fit (thrift clothes have the same issue as everything else, too small waists and when the chest fits it is basically a tent all over) and to avoid artificially cheap clothes. then i get into the mood and it is a very creative process that engages me. when it stops being that fun/flow for too long i put it aside.

Thread Information