Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: February 2015 Frugals

February 2015 Frugals

A new month! We had a great dinner last night, simple, frugal and totally restaurant-worthy that I wanted to share.
    Lemon-Parsley Pasta
    6 oz uncooked pasta
    1/4 cup chopped parsley
    1.5 tbsp EVOO
    1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp grated lemon rind
    salt & freshly grated black pepper
    The instructions were basically to cook the pasta & then combine with the other ingredients. We used a 12-oz package of fresh fettuccine I had bought at the Winter Farmers' Market so DH doubled the sauce ingredients. I think the fresh pasta and the fresh parsley made it great, but it would probably be decent even with dry pasta and dried parsley.

Thanks for starting our new monthly thread, rosarugosa!

Lovely stay-at-home, frugal day yesterday. We baked cinnamon rolls, took the dogs for a long walk through our meadow in the deep snow (good way to tire them out!), ate popcorn made on the stove-top and drank hot chocolate from my homemade mix. Then stayed up way too late watching the last 3 episodes from season 5 of Downton Abbey.
    The brain is wider than the sky. -- Emily Dickinson

Weather kept us in all day Saturday, and it may be the same for today with winter making a comeback after record-breaking high temperatures in the 70's. We'll have twice as much stuff to take to the recycling center next week, but we kept our cars clean and saved on gas.

I found a box of red Inca quinoa tucked away in the pantry and cooked the remaining 1/2-cup this morning to use for making a gluten-free quinoa pizza crust for tonight (http://www.firstforwomen.com/food/gl...a#.VM41qmc5Aeg). I already have everything else for the toppings --- leftovers from last weeks meals. Pizza is a wonderful way to use up small amounts of meat and cheese, and to find a use for those veggies dying of neglect in the crisper drawer.

February is a "no shopping month" (other than groceries) so that always makes for a frugal month. I only "shop" every other month, so 6 months a year. The only shopping I did in January was when Big Lots had a 20% off everything in the store sale and I stocked up on several items I typically purchase there.

This morning I'm taking leftover beef broth from another meal and using it to make soup with the container of vegetables in the freezer where I stash those dabs of leftovers. I also baked a recipe of gluten-free cornbread and that freezes well and will last us several months.

It got cold and dreary, so haven't left the house in days, which saves gas and money and whatall. Perfectly content just staying in. And today's menu was the leftover Super Bowl party-platter plate, recycled into oven-baked sandwiches; and tomorrow's menu is leftover Saturday's stew oven-heated with biscuits on top. I'm trying to stay out of the grocery store.

My new frugal is that I made spreadable butter. The recipe I found calls for 1 stick (1/2 cup) of butter and 1/3 cup of oil. I used olive oil. I used softened (room temp) butter and whipped the butter and the oil together. Worked out great and the taste committee approves

My non-frugal hasn't happened yet but since I had to buy some new (used) binoculars for birding, I will cut back on several expenditures this month(clothing/shoes/eating out) to cover that amount ($135) plus some. DH has a class tonight and had suggested eating out but I persuaded him to cook some lentil soup instead since he will get home before me. I will bring home some leftover fritatta from a work meeting to go with it. That saved us $15-20 right there since we normally just get some take out pho on a cold night like this.

Homemade pizza and homemade cinnamon rolls, courtesy of my dearly beloved.

Stayed at work late yesterday so that I could go straight to the gym. Saved on gas and got in a good workout.
    The brain is wider than the sky. -- Emily Dickinson

I got a $1 raise and an increase of 5 hours a week.
    I turned down a full-time job because of the above, I make more at part-time (25 hours a week) and have flexibility.
    I got paid for some extra hours I worked last month.
    Today we close on the re-fi and that will put $200 extra towards paying down my "stupid bill" and $100 extra will go toward the principle payment each month.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Congratulations, Float On! $300 a month to further your financial goals is something to celebrate!

Thread Information