Page 72 of 244 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Rave

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    That is an amazing video of the restoration, iL. I cannot begin to imagine the cost involved. Wonder who would be interested in buying it?

Foreigners would have the money to buy it and keep it up. Or British movie stars and rock stars. The woman who renovated Cassillis is Australian. Jeremy
    Irons renovated a similar type castle in Ireland. There are many small Scottish tower houses/castles, many! They and Victoriana are my main interest in architecture.

Many years ago when I was 25 years old I went on a solo trip to the UK and one of my areas of interest was tracking down some of those Scottish tower houses. I’ve visited several, some in ruins, some all fixed up. One of the ruins was Stuart castle outside of Inverness. I took a few photos of it. It was wonderful when 25 years later DH and I were able to stay in that castle. It was by then a high end bed-and-breakfast. It was great to compare the Before and After photos. It had been purchased and renovated by someone with the last name of Stuart who is a Canadian businessman multimillionaire.

Gorgeous castle, IL! So nice to see love poured into an old treasure. If that castle had been here in America, someone would have torn it down and built a gaudy McMansion.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We just saw a castle in Kentucky. It is on Wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin...tucky_2009.jpg

Amazing what money will buy or create. Post Castle does look lovely though. Definitely needs more trees as a picture frame.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    We just saw a castle in Kentucky. It is on Wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin...tucky_2009.jpg
    we have a similar folly, also created in the 1960’s, outside of St. Louis. These are various degrees of hideous. What were the builders thinking!??

We have our very own peach tree and there are hundreds of really yummy peaches right outside the side door! The tree is overladened and bowing with the weight of them; I had to prop up a branch with a 2x4 underneath. They are almost at peak ripeness right now. This year I do not have the time or energy to learn how to can them, so I have been inviting anyone who wants to come and pick however many they would like!

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    We have our very own peach tree and there are hundreds of really yummy peaches right outside the side door! The tree is overladened and bowing with the weight of them; I had to prop up a branch with a 2x4 underneath. They are almost at peak ripeness right now. This year I do not have the time or energy to learn how to can them, so I have been inviting anyone who wants to come and pick however many they would like!
    How wonderful! I wonder if you could make peach wine or schnapps or something?

My rave is a repeat rave about my riding mower. I did a grooming of the little pasture yesterday and all woody material is cut down and we are good for winter!

Fresh peaches in water is good. Also put peaches in vodka and strain in a few weeks.

Thumbs up for home remedies!

I have been fighting a cough snotty nose cough cough for weeks now. It was getting so bad that I even considered going to the doctor. I mean I thought I probably needed antibiotics. I flat out rested for three solid days recently and did not get better.

So long story short, I remembered a remedy that my parents used to do and that was gargle with salt water. So I made myself some warm salt water. I gargled. Instant relief! Instantaneous! I immediately felt 50% better! My coughing stopped, the irritation was lifted immediately.

In the next 24 hours I use cough syrup that I had purchased and the nasal sinus cleaning equipment. It is so much better and what’s going on now is clear to me that it’s a an irritation and probably fall allergies. My nose is stuffed up but that’s kind of common for me. It is been many years since I’ve had plant and pollen allergy hit me this hard, but it all started a few weeks ago when I was doing a flower show event and I was working for eight hours a day over 3 days in an airless cold room full of plant material. That made me very sick.

Anyway, the point of this post is that a salt water gargle a godsend! costis $0.

Salt water gargle and nasal lavage (use boiled, cooled salt water for that) are what I use when I feel a cold coming on. That, plus zinc and vitamin C work every time

Thread Information