Page 69 of 244 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119169 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Rave

Some day we'll look back on statins as we look back on thalidomide. So much damage for no benefit--except to Pharma and shareholders. Only a tiny, tiny amount of patients--middle-aged men with a history of heart attack--have been shown to have any benefit, and that a small one. Most people can improve their lipid profiles with lifestyle changes.

Today is my last morning at my house in New Jersey. Grateful for so much, but particularly grateful to my mother-in-law. When we were in the crapper, she co-signed the lease to rent this house in 1985. We paid the rent every month, but we never would have qualified without her help.

When the owners were interested in selling, there was no way we could have even paid for the title insurance, never mind a down payment. My MIL's mother had just died and left her the savings she had socked away as a receptionist her whole life, and my MIL gave us the down payment for this house. It took me many years to understand how generous that gift was.

So it seems fitting that her grandson is the next occupant of this place, and that I'm, in a sense, paying it forward. I hope that I can live up to her love and generosity as I continue on in my years.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Today is my last morning at my house in New Jersey. Grateful for so much, but particularly grateful to my mother-in-law. When we were in the crapper, she co-signed the lease to rent this house in 1985. We paid the rent every month, but we never would have qualified.

When the owners were interested in selling, there was no way we could have even paid for the title insurance, never mind a down payment. My MIL's mother had just died and left her the savings she had socked away as a receptionist her whole life, and my MIL gave us the down payment for this house. It took me many years to understand how generous that gift was.

So it seems fitting that her grandson is the next occupant of this place, and that I'm, in a sense, paying it forward. I hope that I can live up to her love and generosity as I continue on in my years.
    Wise woman to see and acknowledge this as you move to the next step in your life. Enjoy the wonderful adventure unfolding ahead, Catherine.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

That was a very generous gift. It will be cool if the house stays in the family.

I have to hand a rave to Lowes.ca. I am having trouble starting my riding lawn mower, spoke to the dealer rep and it will require a visit to the shop, etc.
    I wanted to research the alternatives so checked the reviews online for an electric, corded and cordless, before heading to Lowes. The staff there gave me so much information, empathized with my dilemma and offered a number of workable options as well as the name of a local repair person who might be able to come to my house and fix the problem.
    I love my riding mower, little cart for hauling stuff and have the mower hoist for servicing so well equipped for the 2 1/2 acres of lawn that I used to mow. I am now down to a small lawn area which I can mow in 10 minutes. I use my tractor for hauling pots, mulch for the beds etc so find it really handy. I don't want to give it up but spending $500 for a service job which includes the pick-up and delivery return fee starts to make one look at the options.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I have to hand a rave to Lowes.ca. I am having trouble starting my riding lawn mower, spoke to the dealer rep and it will require a visit to the shop, etc.
    I wanted to research the alternatives so checked the reviews online for an electric, corded and cordless, before heading to Lowes. The staff there gave me so much information, empathized with my dilemma and offered a number of workable options as well as the name of a local repair person who might be able to come to my house and fix the problem.
    I love my riding mower, little cart for hauling stuff and have the mower hoist for servicing so well equipped for the 2 1/2 acres of lawn that I used to mow. I am now down to a small lawn area which I can mow in 10 minutes. I use my tractor for hauling pots, mulch for the beds etc so find it really handy. I don't want to give it up but spending $500 for a service job which includes the pick-up and delivery return fee starts to make one look at the options.
    wait what? You have a riding mower? I don’t even know what to say about that.

We bought a riding mower for our 1 acre in Herman. I got a lesson on it and yeah. Nope. I will not ride on the hill, that is beyond my skill level. But we never had a riding mower for our city gardens.

i take my hat off to you for running the big mower.

I have just recently decided that I can use the rider mower to haul buckets of mulch/ compost in the little attached cart. Six of the 5 gallon bucket’s fit into the cart. I can use it on the front part of our Hermann place, it is flat but I will not get on that hill, that is too scary.

Iris, my sentiments exactly!

Many years ago, hubby let me drive the riding mower...I drove it right into the swimming pool filter, and thus drained half the pool.

In NC, we have an acre and a half. Our motor home was plugged into an outlet and the cord strung across the yard. First go round, all was well. Second lap, when I ran over the cord, it ripped out of the outlet and literally whipped me - still have a bump in my forearm a year later.

I leave several rows for the hubs, since I don't do slopes. You do know that the mower shuts off if your behind leaves the seat, right? I didn't. That's partly the "scare factor", that it will run you over if you fall off or tip.

Funny comments about the riding lawn mower. I don't mow serious slopes either. You have to remember that I am a farm girl driving farm machinery for years so the riding lawn mower is a snap except when the switch goes and I have to have it fixed. Have someone coming on Monday to repair it. DH used to do all those sorts of repairs routinely keeping our last riding tractor going for 25 years.

Sofa Olympics!

Here’s how you tire out a 9 month old bulldog with not a whole lot of effort on your part:

Get him excited to jump up on sofa, to floor, to Chair #1, to floor, to Chair #2 to floor.

repeat twice.

Then he flops down to rest.

Just joined a fitness club. I am taking classes and working on strength training. I can't believe how good it makes me feel. I am hoping to lose some weight and firm up, as well as, have more energy. Frugal me will stick with it since I am paying good money for it! Actually, it is not that expensive. I bartered to get the cost to where I was comfortable. Just learned that that is the rate I will pay for as long as I go there!!!

Thread Information